Pond depth

Reaction score
Country
United States
My pond is 10’ x 15’ and is fed by a 15 foot long stream and waterfall I would like to know how deep a minimum depth I need for fish

Attachments

• F877B825-4C45-4715-8A52-EA78C5BE899F.jpeg
    F877B825-4C45-4715-8A52-EA78C5BE899F.jpeg
    415.7 KB · Views: 183
Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! Nice pond. It depends where you live. If you are in So California or Florida the answer is different from Minot North Dakota.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF!

Are you concerned about overwintering fish? Here in the Chicago area, many ponds are built 24 inches deep and fish stay out all winter with no issue. Our pond is 3 feet deep. You will read advice that says your pond needs to be "at least" 5 feet deep to overwinter fish, but in my experience and that of many, many zone 5 ponds that I have visited that is just not the case.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1567867432835.gif
@Oldsrolet
If you get nervous about your pond in winter getting too much ice you could always put a cattle heater in there before you get ice and turn it on when needed. I don't have one and don't need it but others can steer you to a good kind to use.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the GPF!

Are you concerned about overwintering fish? Here in the Chicago area, many ponds are built 24 inches deep and fish stay out all winter with no issue. Our pond is 3 feet deep. You will read advice that says your pond needs to be "at least" 5 feet deep to overwinter fish, but in my experience and that of many, many zone 5 ponds that I have visited that is just not the case.
Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the GPF!

Thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. I'm in north GA. My pond is 24" at it's deepest point. My only worry, is too hot in summer. winter here is pretty mild, with only about 4" of ice on the pond at the max.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My pond is 10’ x 15’ and is fed by a 15 foot long stream and waterfall I would like to know how deep a minimum depth I need for fish
Hi and welcome. I would recommend anywhere from 3-4 ft is fine. I'm in Chicago and all but one tiny fish made it fine in my pond last winter despite temps to negative 27. I never have used any kind of heater but keep both an air pump and small water pump working all winter to provide proper gas exchange.

Ask a Question