Pond Depth

Reaction score
Hi Folks

I built my pond late last year and had hired someone with a mini-digger to dig the initial layout for me . I had given them the rough dimensions and let them at it . After they had finished we added a some heavy grade plastic and a few inches of sand then the liner. Something I did not account for when calculating my depth . I would think I lost about 6 inches in that alone .So it turns out at its deepest point my pond is only around 20-22" in depth when pond is full and I really wanted at least 36"

Was always dissapointed with this but figured it was just too much work in lifting the liner and removing soil again , although I could raise the banks a bit which might be easier and something I have considered.

Do you think I have enough water there for a stable pond/ safe for fish ? The pond itself is quite large , around 18' x 10'

Thanks for your advice
Martin

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When it is winter there, how cold do you get, will the water freeze solid? If it doesn't and you keep a hole in the ice for the fish, you should be fine. If you have extra liner build the edge up some that will help.

Reaction score
Thanks ! We dont get too cold , maybe a few degrees below freezing. But it doesnt last long , sometimes a few days, sometimes less . We get a lot of rain here :)

I have some extra liner alright . When building up the sides, do you need to bond the liner or just lay the new liner over the old and the water pressure will stop any leaks where the liners meet ?

Reaction score
Depth isn't an important factor if we're talking goldfish and given your climate. Even Koi can live in 20". There's only one way to tell and that's by testing the water.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks ! We dont get too cold , maybe a few degrees below freezing. But it doesnt last long , sometimes a few days, sometimes less . We get a lot of rain here :)

I have some extra liner alright . When building up the sides, do you need to bond the liner or just lay the new liner over the old and the water pressure will stop any leaks where the liners meet ?

You should be fine with that depth then, we can get pretty cold here. But even during one of our cold winters the pond only froze down 8 inches.

I thought you had extra liner uncut from the edge, if you have to add liner, imho, I would not do that, it can be a ptia to keep it from leaking.

Reaction score
I have some extra liner alright .
The idea is to add concrete block or landscape timbers and attach the existing "extra" liner to that.

When building up the sides, do you need to bond the liner or just lay the new liner over the old and the water pressure will stop any leaks where the liners meet ?
If you needed to add extra liner it would have to be bonded to each other using the method specified by the manufacturer. The 2 liners have to be the same material. Bonding on extra while the pond is still in place would be a nightmare imo. Pulling it out and doing the job on a flat surface would be better as you'd only have to add on 2 sides instead of 4. Still not a fun job and if you make the smallest mistake...leaks. I'd replace the entire liner before trying to bind more liner.

Reaction score
You should be fine with that depth then, we can get pretty cold here. But even during one of our cold winters the pond only froze down 8 inches.

I thought you had extra liner uncut from the edge, if you have to add liner, imho, I would not do that, it can be a ptia to keep it from leaking.

Yeah I was thinking as much . I wanted a deeper area just so the fish have somewhere to hide in case of predators and to go during the winter when they are more dormant.

Reaction score
The idea is to add concrete block or landscape timbers and attach the existing "extra" liner to that.

If you needed to add extra liner it would have to be bonded to each other using the method specified by the manufacturer. The 2 liners have to be the same material. Bonding on extra while the pond is still in place would be a nightmare imo. Pulling it out and doing the job on a flat surface would be better as you'd only have to add on 2 sides instead of 4. Still not a fun job and if you make the smallest mistake...leaks. I'd replace the entire liner before trying to bind more liner.

Thanks Waterbug - make's sense.

Reaction score
I bought a PH tester today so will take a reading . Thanks .
pH doesn't tell you a lot. If you test KH and GH you'll learn why pH is what it is. Even more important where it rains a lot because rain is acidic even in your location. Google "pond pH buffering" for more info.

For pH testing you want to test in the early morning and late afternoon because pH changes throughout the day. It is more the swing that's important than any single measurement. But again, the KH will tell you more about swings.

Reaction score
8.4 is fine if it stays close to that at different times of day. If pH is like 6.0 in the am there would be an issue.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah I was thinking as much . I wanted a deeper area just so the fish have somewhere to hide in case of predators and to go during the winter when they are more dormant.

I floated a piece of liner, the fish hid it under all winter. I think the black absorbed some heat also (and it was a warm winter) the fish would be right below the liner on the surface. You could also take a piece of styrofoam and make a floating island like pecan did for her pond.

Ask a Question