Pond Digging Day 3 or 4 ...lol

Reaction score
Which ever you want to call it ...lol.. so tired had a really long day .. got up early to start digging and got alot done .. it doesnt look like it from the pics but it is about 3 feet deep if not a lil more then came in cause it was getting hot here so took a break and had a nap and when i got up i cheked Craigslist and seen an add for landscape rocks/edging.. 25 cents each and there was about 150 of them if not a lil more grey ones and red ones .. plus the scalloped edging .. and stepping stones and also they had a 3 tiered water fall they didnt want .. so there is 2 top tubs and the bottom one ..and the pump and got all this for $65 what is in the truck in just one load and that is a long bed .. we have to go back tomorow and get the rest of the load .. .. man am so tired ..been working on the yard all week plus hubby built me a raised garden bed for veggies .. the dirt from the hole is going in it .. it is so soft and black .. it is like a hot knife going through butter ..so easy to dig up .. probably gonna go get the last load tomorow and be done for the day .. hubby is hurting .. he is disabled as he was in a car accident 13 yrs ago .. so he cant do to much with out hurting ..

Here is a couple of pics for now to show the progress and the stuff we got today .. man what a score.. will look so nice around the pond .. :)

Marion

P5120004 Pond.JPGP5120007 Pond.JPGP5120021 Bricks.JPGP5120023 Bricks.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What a deal you got on Craigslist! You are making good progress and now you get a garden too. Nice hubby for doing that even when hurting. Lucky you and looks like you have a good digging helper there!

Reaction score
Thanks .. he is a good helper inbetween the grumbling ..lol.. he is a good kid .. .. we woulda had more done last night but with picking up the rocks that tooks some time off and well hurt alot more after ripping it all out .. lol and ya gotta love Craigslist .. :) found so much good stuff on there ... i cant wait to get the veggies going in my new garden .. got the seeds started inside sitting in my windows ..

Marion

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Wow what a bargain and did you luck out or what .Lucky that the soil looks great and easy to dig .Gosh wish I had some great soil like that ,mostly clay here .

Reaction score
I am so glad the soil has been going good .. was thinking that i would get down about 2 feet and hot rock bottom ..lol... allthough in one spot there is a ton of like river rocks about a good foot down .. allready got a 5 gallon pail full and still pulling up more ..thought it would be great to rinse them off and add them to the pond ..
Ya i love Craigslist .. im always cheking it all day long .. while we were there the guy had to call his mom to cancell the add as so many ppl were calling .. im glad i got it first .. :)

Marion

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Free rock on your own property is good! You gonna use them around the edge? Rocks on the bottom make it really hard to clean so I just put them around the edge. Some do put on the bottom but it is rather time consuming trying to net out the gunk in between them.

Reaction score
ya probably just around the shallow areas .. so you can see them... these are small .. this is just so weird were they are .. i do know there was an elderly lady who owend the house before us .. and i did find a pic of the back yard in 1994 i think it was with her gardening .. it was really pretty .. but it dont show using rocks for borders or anything .. now i cant wait to get this all set up .. so excited ..

Marion

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hmmmmmm, maybe it was an old drain field at one time. Do you have a well or on city water?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
could it have been an old cesspool .I ran into one in my first house and it had lots of great rocks in it .The house was way over 120 years old and the family kept passing it down and finally decided to sell it .Did not like where they came from but knew it had abandoned over 60 years so not much left .I still had the old gas lamps in the house that worked and found out from all the stuff left in the attic the history of the house .

Reaction score
JW . we are on city water but we are also on a water table were we can drill for a well .. we are a block away from Catherine Creek wich is a main creek going through town ..but this wasnt spread out .. it is in just a 3 foot area so far .. if you look at th epics of were we dug at the farther end from my son were the roses are they are just in a small pocket there .. plus we are also a big farming community .. i live on the Old Oregon Trail valley ..

Sissy i would love to have a old farm house .. they are so neat .. there is a few old abandonded ones here in town .. plus alot of old Victorian houses .. so neat ..

We just unloaded the truck and counted what we have so far and priced them ... the edgers.. 128 so far. a few more to go at the house.. about $3 each .. $384.. 44 red scalloped straight edgers.. about $2 each $88 .. and 18 octagon stepping stones at about $4 each $72 .. total $544 ..and we have another load to gets of the landscape edgers but in red .. still all this for $65 and i havent added in the price of the water fall tubs and the pump .. not sure what the price of those are .. oh and numerous rocks that are really neat to add in for the water fall .. 2 are bowl shaped .. :)

Marion

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well then don't have a clue on what else it could be. Guess somebody long ago threw some rocks in a big hole for some reason or another.
You really got a lot of stuff for $65. You done good! The bowl shaped rocks sound cool!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great find, and do I wish our dirt was like that! wowow

Reaction score
Ya i sure wish iw as able to find out how they got there .. but oh well it will work.. :) and im so glad the dirt was so soft .. well i guess hubby and the kid are happy .. they have been doing the digging .. :)

Marion

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
now that was a steal a real steal .You scored big time .2 bowl shaped rocks would make a cute place for plants to cascade from

Reaction score
Ya it was a big steal ... we counted eh red edgers and there was 58 of them .. so just over 200 of them .. and the bowl shaped rocks were in the water fall .. they had just enough bowl to make a cool waterfall .. i cant wait to get it all together ..

Marion

Ask a Question