Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I can not believe what just happened :wideyed: I was checking email and all of a sudden the low water alarm in pond 2 went off followed by 4 and then the flood alarm in the QT went off and I went to look to see if they were shorting out maybe and to my shock pond 2 has completely washed out taking all 12 of my largest koi with it :( . The turtle rescue building that has the quarantine and short stay tanks has about 5 inches of water literally running through it like a river and not even from the pond but from the levee and storm drain on the north side that also washed out. This is awful :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:... Also my largest pond is running over the edges and thats with the sump going wide open. I cant even see 1 inch into it because the water is chock full of mud, sticks and every other hunk of :poop: that has washed in.... Please keep me in your thought guys cause this is truly a disaster :( talk about a lump of coal for Christmas

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Radar looks like it is gonna keep dumping rain for a while
Screenshot from 2015-12-25 06:07:23.png

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Yikes, Marshall.
:(
Worst part is I just called in to the weather channel automated forecast line and they said it is gonna get heavier today and will keep raining for the next 8 to 11 days so the only thing
I can do is hope the pumps keep running and that the diesel genset doesn't go down cause I doubt the power company is gonna get the mains back up anytime soon because I am the only user on the transformer because of how remote and large my property is.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
We're remote here.too. A generator is a life saver, but ours is plumbed for natural gas. We're lucky.
I have a couple portables and one runs on propane if worse comes to worse but right now I have about 12 gallons in the gen and a full tank and 1/4 of another on site the storage tanks hold 38 gallons each and I have a truck tank that holds 75 gallons but I have not filled it up cause it costs about $250.00 topped off. With the amount of equipment running on the generator though I will probably get it filled up just in case my generator is a 30 kW sustained with a 2 kW overdrive inversion and it is running at about 60% right now so it is drinking a pretty good amount of fuel.
4717d758-f8a3-442f-b4b5-252f01ae19ad.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
It's too bad you have to rely on diesel, it can go bad.
I have a Generac as well, a smaller 17000 watt.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States

It actually is flex fuel and will run on propane with very minor adjustments but I just never invested in the large capacity propane tank because at least with diesel I can use it in the old UTV and the swamp truck but I don't have anything else really that would use propane nor would I be able to get it delivered where I live

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States

Those Generac 12,000 - 24,000 watts are good too. My portable generators are a Fuji HDI, a small Ryobi Inverter 3,500 Watt (which I love cause it only weighs 25 pounds) and then the old Rigid brand portable which can run on gasoline or propane

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
On part of our property, we have a 3 foot natural gas pipeline running underground. I think our supply may be tapped off of that.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Dang Marshall, I'm hoping you get that mess fixed, to bad it had to happen on the holidays.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh that's awful,I'm sorry this has happened. This weather is awful. Stay well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh crikey, sorry to hear about that @Marshall! :( That's an awful things to happen at any time of year, but it makes it all the worse with it being Christmas! How are things looking now?

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Oh crikey, sorry to hear about that @Marshall! :( That's an awful things to happen at any time of year, but it makes it all the worse with it being Christmas! How are things looking now?
Still working on cleaning things up. I posted a second article titled "rain stopped but only two survivors" that gives a more in-depth update on the current situation. Thanks for asking.

Ask a Question