pond drying up!

Reaction score
hi there. i purchased a home in western nc and it has a spring fed pond. the spring originates up on a hill and flows down into a reservoir then into my pond. for the past few months, the flow into my pond has gradually dwindled and now there is now flow of water into my pond. i climb the hill to follow the water flow and found that there is no water flowing from the spring head. i was told that this happens during a drought.
the pond is quite overgrown with weeds and the water level is getting lower.
what should i do for an emergency fix to save the few fish i see. i plan on getting rid of as many weeds as possible in the near future but am out of town quite abit and will be for another month.
should i hook up a hose and feed the pond? i have a well so it won't be 'city' water filling the pond. the pond is roughly 20'x10'.
thanks for any input.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The well water may be different PH, but it is better to fill it then do nothing. You can always get a PH test kit. The well water is better than city water because you don't have to worry about chlorine and other chemicals they put in the water. Good Luck!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I would do what Cometkeith suggested, double check the well water against the pond water, if they are somewhat close add the water by the hose from the well slowly by cracking open and slowly filling. also if you have additional areation this will help in lowering the stress level and the fish should be able to adjust to the new water being added. matbe irene will bring some much needed rain without all the other mess and leave all that offshore.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We feed ours with our well, like above check your ph, our well is very acidic, just make sure it does not push the ph down in your pond. I killed a few fish because of the ph until I figured out that was what was wrong. (when we first set up the pond)

Reaction score
strangely enough, the spring started trickling water again, albeit, water by the eyedropper. nonetheless i've run the hose from the spicket to the pond, slowly, as fishin4cars said. the pond looks better and the level has raised a bit.
i read somewhere that the weeds provide o2 but at the same time suck up h2o. should i rake out as much as i can??
we still have some hot, dry days ahead...so...
btw, thanks to everyone who made good suggestions. pH?...litmus paper? or is there a more complicated technique vs chem 101.
cheers.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Test strips or the liquid test kit for pond/aquariums. That will tell you ph real nicely

Ask a Question