Pond Dye Downside

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Since there is not much shade on my almost 2 year old pond, I've considered using pond dye. My biggest question: how can water quality be monitored?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I can tell you my neighbor used it and I could not test her water with the API test kit because of the colored water I could not see a color for the tests .Plus it is very hard to see the fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks, Sissy. I thought as much. Phosphate levels have been a problem, pH a bit low, so no dye for now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think pond dye is overrated anyway. If you have algae in your pond, good job! If you have TOO MUCH algae in your pond, you need to figure out why. Sunshine isn’t causing it. Shade won’t fix it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond is in pure full sun, the best fighter for algae is plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I appreciate all feed back. I've been pond keeping for 15+ years. Moved about 2 years ago. Had this pond built when we moved in. Our last pond was mostly shaded...no algae issues ever. Just starting to put back in plants after the winter. We had massive blooms everyday last year...could actually see them forming when the sun was overhead. It hasn't been as bad as last year, so far, but I'm changing the filters every other day. Phosphate levels are 5-10 mg/L with the API test. Several of the fish that I've had for 15 years are now 18" to 20", so that may be the cause of the accelerated growth. There are also 8 offspring, ranging from 1" to 3". In theory we're looking for homes for them. We're on the schedule to have the bog cleaned, even though this pond is not quite 2 years old. The capacity is 2000 gallons.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Set up an algea filter. A spare pump set to dump the water into a basket lined with polyester quilt batting. The sheet type works best for that. Just be sure the basket is set up over the pond, or bog, and when the batting clogs up, either rinse it in clean pond water or change it. Don't expect fast or permanent results, this just removed the excess algae particles from the water, not the source of the problem.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think you nailed your issue - bigger fish, more food for algae. How big is your pond?

And welcome to the GPF by the way! We'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to see pictures of your pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Set up an algea filter. A spare pump set to dump the water into a basket lined with polyester quilt batting. The sheet type works best for that. Just be sure the basket is set up over the pond, or bog, and when the batting clogs up, either rinse it in clean pond water or change it. Don't expect fast or permanent results, this just removed the excess algae particles from the water, not the source of the problem.
Thanks, JaimieB. We have a spillway. Last year we did set up a contraption to collect the algae coming from it. That helped...changed batting every day. Ugh! Running very fine filter material in the skimmer. I suppose I'm just looking for an easy way out!;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think you nailed your issue - bigger fish, more food for algae. How big is your pond?

And welcome to the GPF by the way! We'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to see pictures of your pond!
Just remeasured and excluded the depth of the bog filter...capacity is 1600 cu ft! Another part of my problem, since before I included the bog in the pond dimensions. <sigh> Aging brain!! Her is a pic of last years pond. So far, our back area is a disaster, with garden projects still unfinished! Downsizing, even almost 2 years in, is such a challenge!
FullSizeRender.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It looks like you have just koi? If that's the case, part of your problem is you are overstocked. One option would be to make the pond bigger. More water is more stable, and can handle the fish better, more dilution of the waste. Other than that, a bigger bog, more plants in the bog, plants such as iris which take off early. If you are looking to rehomr the offspring, there is a thread here at the bottom of the main page to offer fish, plants, pond supplied.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
OK - that's a tad confusing. if I convert 1600 cu ft to gallons, it's around 12,000 gallons. Does that sound right?

And zero shame in looking for the easy way out - that's my approach to gardening in general! Your pond should be a source of enjoyment... not one more chore on a long list.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Previous posts put pond at 2000 gallons. Not sure how many adult koi you have but rehoming some of the adults would help with water quality. Those big koi put out a lot of waste! As soon as things start getting a little more normal, my big boys will be going to new homes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
OK - that's a tad confusing. if I convert 1600 cu ft to gallons, it's around 12,000 gallons. Does that sound right?

And zero shame in looking for the easy way out - that's my approach to gardening in general! Your pond should be a source of enjoyment... not one more chore on a long list.
My error!! It is 1600 gallons!

Ask a Question