Pond edge and flagstone

Reaction score
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone can provide some ideas/suggestion of how to secure my edging with flagstone. Right now the overlapped liner is sitting on top of a 4" slab concrete with flagstone on top. I had to tear off my old liner due to water getting underneath my liner. Any suggestion will be great appreciated. Attached is a picture for reference. Apologized for the mess in the backyard, still a work in progress.

Attachments

• IMG_20141025_175129.jpg
    IMG_20141025_175129.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 2,446
Reaction score
I have a similar setup and what i did was taper the edges to run down away from the pond slightly so any water would run away rather than under. So... build up the ring around the edge a bit and then taper it down and away....

Reaction score
Thanks dieselpower for you input. Water was already running away from the pond on the old flagstone so I'm good there. I can see how can can cause problem if water doesn't run away from the pond edge. Did you mortar the flagstone in? or just dry stacked them?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Eric4014, something you might want to do, if you have the energy (you have enough liner) dig a shallow ledge around the pond, around 3-4 inches below the water line, around 6-12 inches wide. On that ledge put river rock, flat rocks, whatever up to the edge of the pond. Then stack the flagstone, that will hide the liner beautifully.

You could also decrease the amount of liner under the flagstone (outside of the pond) it is easier to set the flagstone on dirt than on liner.

Reaction score
Eric4014, something you might want to do, if you have the energy (you have enough liner) dig a shallow ledge around the pond, around 3-4 inches below the water line, around 6-12 inches wide. On that ledge put river rock, flat rocks, whatever up to the edge of the pond. Then stack the flagstone, that will hide the liner beautifully.

You could also decrease the amount of liner under the flagstone (outside of the pond) it is easier to set the flagstone on dirt than on liner.

Thanks Addy, unfortunately i don't have enough space to dig any deeper because the liner you see is already sitting on a concrete base around the edge. I'm leaning more now mortaring the flagstone on top of the liner to achieve a level surface.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mortar or get some bags of sand to level it I used sand to level my flagstone patio in arizona.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome Eric4014. Are you trying to do something like this? I used sand to level and dry stacked them, no mortar. I was afraid that if I ever wanted to make changes, I would be unable to do it with something put permanently in place. Hope this helps.
photo 12.JPG

Reaction score
Welcome Eric4014. Are you trying to do something like this? I used sand to level and dry stacked them, no mortar. I was afraid that if I ever wanted to make changes, I would be unable to do it with something put permanently in place. Hope this helps.
View attachment 76686

Great idea!!! but do you have issue with the sand washing into the pond after a hard rain? How long you had this setup? How did you prevent water from getting underneath the liner?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I built the pond this summer and have had a couple of rains with no problems. The sand went under the liner then the flagstone on top so the sand can't wash out at all. And as far as water under the liner, the entire edging is slightly higher than the pond so water can't run back under the liner. If you have any low spots, you can always add a little sand or build the flagstone out far enough to where it slopes down slightly. I did that in the larger area (the area to the right). It dips slightly.
11.JPG

Reaction score
Do you want to permantly attach the flagstones to the liner?

I'm open but many suggestions given so far doesn't really apply to my situation. A lot of people level with sand on a soil surface which I can see is easier but I'm leveling it on a concrete surface which makes it a bit tricky since sand doesn't sit well on a concrete surface. Moreover, the concrete surface right now is already above ground level so if I add any sand to it it'll just wash off the edge when a big rain come across. Once I get all that resolve, I still need to determine how to conceal the liner on the edge of the water. From tbndl's picture it seemed like the liner is concealed with some river rocks on the edge but I don't know how stable it is if someone accidentally steps on those rocks? Initial thought was mortaring the flagstone with a slight overhang over the water that will help (not totally) conceal the edge of the liner.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It looked like only a small portion was next to the concrete and if you put the liner over the concrete then put the pavers on top of the liner it won't wash any is the sand away I don't think. I anchored some of my rocks using sissy socks. Basically screen that I sewed pockets into wit fishing line. The rocks then sit in the pockets below the waters edgeedge

Reaction score
It looked like only a small portion was next to the concrete and if you put the liner over the concrete then put the pavers on top of the liner it won't wash any is the sand away I don't think. I anchored some of my rocks using sissy socks. Basically screen that I sewed pockets into wit fishing line. The rocks then sit in the pockets below the waters edgeedge

Actually the entire edging of the pond is surrounded by concrete w/ flagstone (except for the waterfall portion) that is raised above ground level. I had to redo the pond because of water seeping underneath the liner from the edges of the skimmer box causing the liner to float. I had to puncture a hole in the liner to get the water back out. I decided to redo the entire pond all over again redesigning the waterfall feature.

I might still be able to put sand underneath the liner on the concrete and then lay flagstone on top of the liner, but the only thing is that I have to build a border around the outer edge so the sand wouldn't wash away during a rain. Then again (going though thought process) the border that keeps the sand from washing away might prevent water from flowing out and if the water has nowhere to go it might just go back underneath the liner?

Ask a Question