Pond Edge Transition

Reaction score
There have been a few posts lately about pond edges, and I was reviewing some old pictures how I did mine. I tried to keep a photographic record of these things, but not all the pictures I took were from the same angle or necessarily focusing on the edge of the pond, so they are what they are, however most of the pictures do show the back edge of the pond with the back wall behind it. In between the pond edge and the wall I was trying to leave a small strip of dirt where I could plant some terrestrial plants, specifically a vine plant to grow up the wall.(which still isn't grown in the way I want it) Hard to see in the pictures, but it is there.
You may also note I tied to transition of rock type. On the right side around the waterfall there is irregular shaped rock from a mountain slide a couple blocks from our house. It is typical of the rock we have all around the mountains in the narrow valley where we live. I also wanted to incorporate some river rock in the pond to, and so I put that on the left side of the pond and on the left side wall. To make it so there wasn't a huge contrast between the two types of rock I carefully selected transition rocks that went from the rough irregular rocks on the right and gradually transitioned to the smoother river rocks on the left. (most of which are hidden by the plants in the last picture)
Anyway, that's how I did mine. The key things I focused on was getting the water level just right, and hiding the liner below the water level.

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Left side
full

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
MW, You know I have really admired your pond and back porch area since you started it several years ago. From what you walked out and looked at in the beginning until present. You took a view that was, well not that admiring and turned the whole view into a master piece. I love the new view of the mountains, The sitting are and the tranquility of the whole habitat, even underwater videos and pics show a most natural appearing pond all the time. Always look forward to seeing new updates!!!!!

Reaction score
Thanks for all the nice comments.

Looks Great

how did you do the walls ?
I tried a new experimental building technique I've never done, or seen done, before with the walls. We cemented treated posts deep in the ground like you would with fence posts, only deeper to make sure the cemented in part was below the frost level. After the posts set we drilled holes and ran rebar from one post to the next, then secured forms across the lower portion of the posts and poured concrete in between the posts creating a foundation wall. After the foundation wall was all done the portion of the posts that were left standing above made for great stable anchors to build the framed portion of the wall.
It's all kind of hard to describe, good thing I made a video :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Absolutely beautiful! And that's quite a work crew you have - what a great learning experience for them!

Ask a Question