Pond Equipment Frustration

Reaction score
I have moved house a couple of months ago and was left with a pond and 9 goldfish. I was also left with no instructions or manuals for the pond or pond equipment, and for someone who hasn’t even owned a pet fish so I’ve having to brush up on my knowledge the last couple of months.

To cut things short basically I’m at a lost with the pond equipment. The pond is set up is a Hozelock Bioforce 4500 filter, with a titan pump. The pump is attached to a water fountain attachment.

The filter was left off during the time we moved and has only been switched on as recently as advised.

I turned down the water fountain attachment as it was noisy at night time, (seriously its like a hose pipe aiming up in the air) I kept it at a low setting for a couple of days thinking this would not do any harm.

A couple of days later I noticed that the pond equipment was not working, and had turned itself off, and after a couple of tries trying to switch it on and off I concluded that maybe the filter needed cleaning out. So I got a bucket emptied the filter out, and washed the sponges and other filter media out with pond water, which was clogged and ridden with pond slit.

I put everything back together fine, switched the pond back on and noticed the flow out of the pond was A LOT heavier but figured that was normal.

The pond filter worked roughly 2 hours before cutting out, and I was able to “reset” the filter by unclipping and lifting the lid up which resulted in a slight gurgling sound some water coming out the tubes.

This pattern continued happening so the next day I opened up the filter again gave the sponges another looking at and double checked I put everything in the filter correctly. I also swapped the hoses on the filter and ran the filter to ensure there were no blockages in the pipes.

Some how this has made it even worse, and the filter will only run for about 30 mins before cutting out.

Frustrating…..

All I can conclude is that the filter won’t start working again till I remove the lid or take some water out of the filter, but no matter what the filter always cuts out.

Which makes me wonder if the filter is taking in too much water and cutting out? As the flow from the pipe is a lot heavier then before I cleaned out the filter.

I have experimented and have put the fountain back on a high setting to try and see if that creates a balance between the pump and filter but it still cut’s out, and I’m not sure if a titan has a flow control.

Either way suggestions? Does anyone have any ideas what I’ve done? Or is it seriously time for some new equipment?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Try sending the company a message they should be able to give you some information.

http://www.hozelock.com/aquatics/filters-and-uvcs.html

and welcome to the forum
smileywelcome687.gif

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies :)

The hoses are on correctly I ran I through like that for a couple of mins. No clue about the ppump I figured. Since water is comming out the filter the pump shouldentt be a problem?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know anything about pressurized filters. Is your pump still running when the filter stops? Does the pump have a leaf basket, have you checked the impellers to make sure there is nothing in there?

Reaction score
Yes the fountain works good, but everything cuts out after a period of time, when it cuts out it its immediate so nothing if left running.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Are you sayng the power is cutting off? A clogged pump can overheat and cause the breaker to trip. There could also be a problem with the pump itself.

Reaction score
yes the power cuts off but i cant pin point what reason..

I normally can reset the power straight away by opening the filter lid and removing some water from the filter, otherwise the pond wont switch back on, but no mater what I do to the filter, the power will alway cut off at some point.

Maybe I should remove the filter hoses for now and see how long i can just run the pump and fountain, maybe that will give me a general direction of the problem...???

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That sounds like a good idea. If it doesn't cut off with the filter out then there must be a clog someplace in the filter.

Reaction score
Ahhhh I hope i get some relief! Will everything run okay if I simply just disconnect the hoses from the filter and aim them towards the pond?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agree mrsclem, sounds like the pump is overheating, maybe because of the filter, and tripping itself off.

Don't just aim them towards the pond, make sure anchored in the pond ow you may end up with an empty pond....

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had something similar and my son had to come put another breaker in the gfci breaker had a crack in it in the circuit breaker box and then it still happened and my son checked actual plug and replaced it anyway and now it works fine .I also had something plugging the pump propellar one time too .

Ask a Question