pond expansion

Reaction score
Bacolod City, Negros Occidental, Philippines
Hello people!! Quite some time since I have been here. Got into a quandary here. Now that my dear fishes have grown, I felt like I need to expand my pond at least in depth. The contemplated expansion requires the use of concrete (as my pond is made of concrete...). The problem is = could I just go on with the expansion without RELOCATING the fish or do I have to find a temporary dwelling for them. The latter option might be financially burdensome for me as it would necessitate the purchase of a big aquatic container or something. Anyway, the expansion is going to be done by raising the "height" of the pond wall. I'm just worried that any concrete that might find its way into the pond might affect the fish. hoping for some sound advice here... :banana:

Reaction score
Oh, if you need to store them in temporary quarters, you could simply buy an Intex pool (or one of it's cheaper copies at a place like Walmart). They're really cheap and make good temp homes. I bet if you browsed the clearance section of Walmart these days, you might even spot one on the shelves. Most people get 'em for around $80 bucks or so.

Reaction score
Check Craig's list too. Lots of swimming pools never used on this site.

Another thing. Join as many of the pond forums as you can and ask if anyone has any tanks laying around they'd lend you. I lucked into just such a loan and have my fish in two tanks in the garage.

I'm totally with you on the expansion. do you use a liner over the concrete or do you coat it with a sealant.

Reaction score
Bacolod City, Negros Occidental, Philippines
D&RW said:
Check Craig's list too. Lots of swimming pools never used on this site.

Another thing. Join as many of the pond forums as you can and ask if anyone has any tanks laying around they'd lend you. I lucked into just such a loan and have my fish in two tanks in the garage.

I'm totally with you on the expansion. do you use a liner over the concrete or do you coat it with a sealant.

I use a a sealant. No problem at all and a lot more convenient. The "plastic pool" idea did pass my mind but I thought it might harm the fish. Anyway, thanks for the tips.... :)

Ask a Question