pond expansion

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I am looking to expand my current pond (current pond is 14 feet by 24 feet roughly) and I don't want to have to rip out my current liner and rocks etc that surround my pond. Anyone have any ideas on how I can do this. My concern is attaching another liner to my current one without causing any leaks. I have looked around and I don't think gluing will work the current liner has been buried for 2 years. I need to expand again as my koi had babies and I need to make room for 70-100 of the little guys which survived the winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I'm worried that when I join up with the other pond when the liners overlap that I will get quite a bit of leakage.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
As long as there is a drop to one of the ponds, overlapping works fine, I did it to join my 2 ponds. You have to have a drop and bring the lower liner up over the lip of the upper liner.

I may not be active much for the next week. My wife's mother passed away about an hour ago.:sad:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
How big of a drop does there have to be? I would like the fish to go between the ponds without too much trouble, so will a slight drop in elevation work.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
shoeman said:
Sorry to here the bad news

Thank you

As for the connecting stream, if you want a passageway then you will have to seal the liners seams together.
I keep my smaller Koi in my upper pond and the large ones in the lower pond. I like the seperation of the 2.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
As long as there is a drop to one of the ponds, overlapping works fine, I did it to join my 2 ponds. You have to have a drop and bring the lower liner up over the lip of the upper liner.

I may not be active much for the next week. My wife's mother passed away about an hour ago.:(

Sorry about that Dr. Dave. We're facing the same thing in the near future. My condolences.

Reaction score
I believe it was Stroppy and I have both just put the new liner in on top of the old one. Both of us planned to just leave the old one in place, but ended up having to move the old one around some to complete the job. But maybe it won't be necessary to tear out the old one at all. Provides nice extra protection for the new one.

Man, you have a big pond. The new liner you buy will be very heavy. be sure to get a lift gate truck when you have it delivered. And be ready with some moving equipment.

Ask a Question