Pond Face Lift

Reaction score
Hi,
I've had a pond (oval shaped 19" deep 8x10) about ten years. A couple of years ago all my fish died for some mysterious reason. I had two koi that were about a foot and a half each and some large gold fish. I also never used any chemicals. Well, sinced they died, I haven't had the pond going. Since the old liner was repaired a number of times, I have decided dig the pond to a depth of about 30 inches and install a new liner. Well, the liner I bought is about 15'x20', it seems to big. My question is, is this too big and :fish:can I use the extra as an underlayment instead of buying an underlayment?
Thanks,
Carmine

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
That pond would need at least a 15x13 liner, and you can tuck the rest of it under the rocks on the edges, or you can trim it. I would recommend using a liner about that size.
I'm not an expert though...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
To make it easy on my brain...........the width with a depth of 36 inches will need a piece of liner 14 feet wide, the length will need a liner 16 feet long. so not too big, You also want some to have go over the top of the soil to make it stable.

lol zman you used the real numbers............... You could also dig the pond a little bigger!

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Welcome. Yes if you have extra liner dig deeper. Also NEVER cut your liner(well the good 45 mil stuff). Fold it under the edging(rock). I cut my first one and when I decided to go bigger I was hose bagged. I do have two nice pieces for my next bog though.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome35.gif
Carmine

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome carmine and if you have a liner that big and live in NY go deeper .That could be the reason your fish died .The rule of thumb is footing depth to build anything and yours footings there should be 48 inches .My pond liner was 15x20 and I had enough left for waterfall on my pond and it starts at around 2 feet deep to almost 4 feet deep at the other end .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes I too would go deeper and even if you have to make the hole less wide and long. Freezing cold in NY in winter. Didn't your other pond freeze solid or did you use something to keep the water warmer?

Ask a Question