Pond failure/rebuild

Reaction score
Country
United States
We’ll if not for bad luck I’d have no luck. Purchased a home and two days before move in date a tree fell on it. Have been fighting that battle with insurance and rebuilding the inside. The home has several large ponds in the front of the property and while not perfect they were operational and just needed some cleaning and tlc. Pumps have been failing and replacing them as the do.

We’ll lower pond second pump failed sometime this week and replaced it yesterday. Luckily went by today to check on other progress and found a cracked line behind liner that pumped virtually all water behind the liner. Luckily was able to save all the fish for now and emergency transfer to secondary ponds. But the bottom pond is shot. Had to cut a good bit of liner to allow for pump to pump out the water as I did not want it to seep out and go into home.

So I guess the rebuild will commence much sooner than anticipated. Will have to do a majority of the work myself, as last quote to redo the pond was $20-25k.

Any suggestions on alternative to a liner? Just trying to get some ideas and stay positive during this time.

Attachments

• 8EA7F3F7-BDA1-4684-9D6F-0DCDAB9B7029.jpeg
    8EA7F3F7-BDA1-4684-9D6F-0DCDAB9B7029.jpeg
    312.7 KB · Views: 41
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well crap. Sorry about the bad luck.

Any suggestions on alternative to a liner?

All man made ponds require a liner, but there are several different material options for liner type: synthetic, concrete, clay, fiberglass. From the look of your construction type, I’d say clay is not viable, but the other 3 are.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh my goodness! When it rains it pours!

Why an alternative to a liner? Maybe I missed that part...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What a mess. So sorry.

I would just get a new liner.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh my goodness! When it rains it pours!

Why an alternative to a liner? Maybe I missed that part...

Mainly because the current layout doesn’t lend to a liner looking very nice, It bunches up in many places and almost impossible to get smooth. Also the pond is fairly narrow but about 50-75 feet long so the liner will already by 1200-1500 so was just looking for possible other options.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also due to the way it’s constructed the entire top cap has to be chipped to remove the old liner so I’m tempted to do a little redesign.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We’ll if not for bad luck I’d have no luck. Purchased a home and two days before move in date a tree fell on it. Have been fighting that battle with insurance and rebuilding the inside. The home has several large ponds in the front of the property and while not perfect they were operational and just needed some cleaning and tlc. Pumps have been failing and replacing them as the do.

We’ll lower pond second pump failed sometime this week and replaced it yesterday. Luckily went by today to check on other progress and found a cracked line behind liner that pumped virtually all water behind the liner. Luckily was able to save all the fish for now and emergency transfer to secondary ponds. But the bottom pond is shot. Had to cut a good bit of liner to allow for pump to pump out the water as I did not want it to seep out and go into home.

So I guess the rebuild will commence much sooner than anticipated. Will have to do a majority of the work myself, as last quote to redo the pond was $20-25k.

Any suggestions on alternative to a liner? Just trying to get some ideas and stay positive during this time.
Hello HickoryKoi,
I have two ponds one is cement and the other diy fiberglass. After 25 years each developed leaks - the fiberglass developing pin holes and the cement spider cracks. We gave up on patch repairs and got a professional to spray fiberglass then gel coat; one pond at a time to keep the water and koi healthy. It cost several thousand $$$$$ but saved us money in water wastage and frustration.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello HickoryKoi,
I have two ponds one is cement and the other diy fiberglass. After 25 years each developed leaks - the fiberglass developing pin holes and the cement spider cracks. We gave up on patch repairs and got a professional to spray fiberglass then gel coat; one pond at a time to keep the water and koi healthy. It cost several thousand $$$$$ but saved us money in water wastage and frustration.
How large are the ponds, if you don’t mind me asking?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You won't find a single pond here with a smooth liner - that's really never the goal. The folds in the liner will either be covered by rock (in a rocked pond) or will eventually disappear under a layer of carpet algae.

But a liner that size would be pricey. Maybe a bentonite clay liner?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Sorry to hear of your ponds' pumps and liner woes. I think redesign and liner is the best way to go, though I understand the effort in removing top caps, rocks, and old liners.
Perhaps think of pond liner wrinkles as being fishy "laugh lines"? (Obviously, I've done a great job of rationalizing all the folds and wrinkles here in my pond.)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For a change i'll be the optimist of the group. When a pond with EPDM which is what that picture is showing. The hard part is finding the leak. Well it sounds like you have done that , try a repair if you use seam tape over the cut you may just get lucky , and its the only one.

Reaction score
Country
United States
For a change i'll be the optimist of the group. When a pond with EPDM which is what that picture is showing. The hard part is finding the leak. Well it sounds like you have done that , try a repair if you use seam tape over the cut you may just get lucky , and its the only one.

We’ll ya see what had happened was. A literal hold my beer I’ve had enough. Took the razor and the scissors to it after saving the fish to drain it because I couldn’t deal with having it seep through the wall into the house. Long story short there ain’t no repairing what I cut out haha.

Ask a Question