Pond fault

Reaction score
Country
British Indian Ocean Territory
High any help out there i have just put my hand into water on my outdoor pond to get a electrical shock in my finger tips could it be static or a fault on pumps got one running for filter and one for fountain ?

Reaction score
Country
British Indian Ocean Territory
Any advice please just put my fingers in pond keep getting small electric shocks could this be static or a fault on two pumps i have running nothing tripping on electrics ?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sound like a short circuit in one of the pumps. Do you have fish in the pond? Are your pumps plugged in to a GFI outlet? You need to pull both pumps and look for exposed wires or cracks, this is a dangerous situation.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
agreed with @Mmathis , but for now, I would recommend turning everything off if you don't have fish, if you do have fish, still turn everything off but try to maintain some oxygen for them. I have had an electrical shock in one of my ponds before, and it had fish, I took them out, and unplugged one thing at a time until the shock went away, turned out to be a UV sterilizer that I had had submerged even though it wasn't supposed to be submerged.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
PULL.ALL.PLUGS. You can't mess around with electricity and water. If you are feeling a shock, your fish are being electrocuted. I would rather take my chances with no water movement or filtration at all than to kill them with electricity.

If you are not familiar with electricity PLEASE call an electrician.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1601396245080.gif
@Cotty
Stop all power and check everything out. If you can't spot the obvious issue you will need an electrician.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Good to hear! We lost most of our fish the first year we had a pond, gif outlet failed and water looked like it was boiling! Cord wire casing cracked and electrified the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
if your getting shocked apparently you do not have a gfci receptical on your pond All electrical close to your pond need to be on a ground fault circuit. A call to an electrician is the first last and only thing you should be doing. Even if your pump is off if there's any other power running stay away from the pond.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
if your getting shocked apparently you do not have a gfci receptical on your pond All electrical close to your pond need to be on a ground fault circuit. A call to an electrician is the first last and only thing you should be doing. Even if your pump is off if there's any other power running stay away from the pond.
My first pond was on GFCI ( I mean all of my ponds are ) and in that one I was getting shocked by a UV clarifier, so I am not sure If I am just missing something, but I do think it is quite possible they were on GFCI.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
GFI outlets can go bad, especially if they trip several times. Most times they will just refuse to reset and have to be replaced. If its a really low voltage leak, sometimes it will not trip but if you are getting shocked, replace the GFI as well.

Ask a Question