Pond Filter Diagram. Will it work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So does this design make any sense? Gravity fed to some kind of sump...not sure what to put in there, then pump raised water up to sieve about 1.5M, then water heads through 3 barrels, Moric filter, then 2 barrels of K1, one static one moving bed and then gravity returns back to raised bog, witch a water levels approximately 75cm above ground level. The barrels are raised a little bit to allow for a waste pipe at the very bottom of each barrel. Would this work or is it just madness?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :)
koifilterredux.jpg
koipond3.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
will it work maybe will it leak maybe .Will it freeze maybe .The leaks are likely where the tank adapters enter each barrel and will always have to be checked .Are you protecting it from freeze in a building and are you prepared for the power bill for that sized pump I am no expert in pond filters so look at this as I have no clue ,but things you might have to think about

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A Jebao 10k LPH eco pump runs at 75w. I probably spend more on chewing gum in a year than I will on that thing lol. It's not going to freeze, we're in zone 8 and it barely gets down to freezing here. Tanks will be connected using either uniseals or bulkheads with silicone sealant, so hopefully no leaks. The real question is, will it work mechanically. Is this an efficient setup? What the heck should go in the 'sump'? Brushes? Also the return feed starts at 1M in height and heads down to about 50cm off the ground into a manifold that feeds a raised bog with a water level of around 75cm, so the water should flow fine from filter to bog right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome :)

I'm not a filtration expert, but this design seems complex. Are you planning on the sump being a settlement chamber? I'm wondering if you need both that and a sieve, as both remove solids. Could your bog serve as biological filtration? Are you planning on keeping koi?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's kinda complex lol. Honestly I'm just throwing lots of things in there slowly cutting out what doesn't need to be in there. This pond isn't very big, only 2000 gallons and will have max 8-10 koi. I think initially I will just make that sump box a brush box to take out big stuff and the Moric filter and static beds will take care of fines. Moric filter and brushes take very little time to clean out, maybe the static a bit longer, but that will be less frequent, hopefully. Since the koi are all going in pretty small 6-7", hopefully, this system can handle them for a year or so before I need to get serious about putting in a proper sieve.

Feedback is very helpful though, no matter how critical. If people say it's trash and won't work I'm more than happy to scrap the whole thing and start over haha.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So this is a more practical design.

Attachments

• koifilterredux2.jpg
    koifilterredux2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 7,893

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! That’s a fancy set up! What is a “moric” filter?

You’re going to have a bog and all the other filtration methods? If your water goes through those other filters before it returns via the bog, you will have removed the nutrients that the bog needs to flourish. IOW, you will have defeated the purpose of having a bog, it seems. Most pond filtration systems are one or the other: a bog or a DKP (dedicated koi pond) set up, or a DKP with some water pumped directly to the bog, bypassing the other stuff. What kind of fish will you have?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pond will have koi, around 8. Also the bog plants need nitrates, this setup has aerobic bacteria media so they will remove ammonia and nitrite but do little to remove nitrates, which the bog plants will help to keep down, to a degree. At least this is the theory. Also the bog isn't your classic bog filter, it's more or less a relatively thin layer of gravel, only deep enough for some iris and a few other plants to grow. The gravel sits atop an egg crate or similar mesh (thicker gravel first to prevent smaller gravel falling through the grate) to keep it raised and beneath the gravel shelf is an empty area of water with a drain. I designed it that way to be easily cleaned and prevent anaerobic muck build up, as happens in thick gravel bed bogs. Again, this is all theory.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Also thanks for the welcome :) and a Moric filter is a type of filter sock filter designed by a guy called Ronni Moric, in Denmark I believe. It's basically a more easily cleaned version of a typical filter sock setup.

He showcases it here

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
To supply water to a bog usually the only thing to have is a leaf catch before the pump to protect it from large solids.
With filtration before the bog I think you will starve it of nutrition.. You could split a line after the pump and send part to the bog and part through the filter system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That's a great read, I'll check it out now, thanks. Yeh, I guess I could send part of the flow back to the bog after the pump. I could do something crazy and have that line run to the manifold and have the line running from the filters go straight back into the pond via a directional pond return. Maybe have it push the current toward the skimmer, or a least give the koi a little area to swim against. Maybe good exercise for them?

Ask a Question