pond filter for string algae

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi I live in Phoenix AZ and the year round temps are prime for string algae growth. I haven't had a lot of
luck with traditional filter pads as they wear out fast as I have to spray out daily plus they are rather
expensive. I have been considering using foam carpet padding as a replacement. I have tried to research
the effects on the fish as well as my cats (they use it as a main water source) as to any chemical emission
into the water that may occur but my searches send me in circles without giving me any information.
Does anyone have any input, knowledge or experience using this medium to filter their pond?
Mine is 1000+ gallons with 20 + fish. thank you

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You need to rethink your issue - mechanical filtration won't help with string algae. You have a high nutrient problem, probably caused by too many fish in too small of a pond. Are these goldfish or koi?

The way to address high nutrients is to A. reduce the bioload (fewer fish, feed less, keep decaying organic matter out of the pond) or B. add more plants to the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Lisa of course is correct.
If you don't want to reduce your fish load, add more plants. They will feast on the excess nutrients which will starve the algae. There are lots of plants that thrive in water. Potted plants, floating plants, marginals, lilies, etc... I like the floating type that don't require a pot or soil. They just float around.
I wouldn't use carpet padding as a filter pad. I can't see how water would flow through carpet padding. It's just too dense. There are so many choices out there that are meant for this purpose.
You say you have to spray out the filter pads daily. That's too much work. You should be enjoying the pond, not working on it every day. That's no fun. Something is not right. I clean mine maybe once every two months.
I'm also guilty of having too many fish. I can't help it, they keep reproducing. My pond is 1500 gallons with a fish load probably a bit more than yours.
Maybe your filtration system is inadequate for the task.
Please describe your filter, your pump, the type of fish and how large they are.

Ask a Question