pond filter help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,I'm new to this site ,I built a pond 11 years ago and been having trouble with my filter for years ,so now I'm going to do something about it ,
I have a hozelock 8000 box filter with a UV light built in ,I have done away with the built in UV light and been running a kockney koi yamitsu 16 watt UV light, the problem I'm having is algae build up in filter box ,
I have £150 to spend on a new filter ,I was thinking of buying a pressure filter and linking to my existing filter, somethink like a fish mate 15000 ,or building my own filter out of a water butt.
What are your suggestions on the way forward or is there a better filter for the money.
My pond is 9ft 4ft and 4ft deep ,4078 litres ,870 gallons.
PS. I've got about 13 koi and 2 tench in my pond all different sizes from 20 inches to 4 inches in size.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
No plants

As I suspected. When is the last time you checked the Nitrate level. I would not be surprised if it was a little on the high side. Nitrate drives most algae growth.

You may very well need more bio-filtration, but that alone will not reduce Nitrate. Quite the opposite. It will add to the Nitrate level, since Nitrate is the end-product of typical bio-filters.

A phyto-filter or trickle tower may be necessary to bring the Nitrate levels down to a manageable level.

Ask a Question