pond filter help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,I'm new to this site ,I built a pond 11 years ago and been having trouble with my filter for years ,so now I'm going to do something about it ,
I have a hozelock 8000 box filter with a UV light built in ,I have done away with the built in UV light and been running a kockney koi yamitsu 16 watt UV light, the problem I'm having is algae build up in filter box ,
I have £150 to spend on a new filter ,I was thinking of buying a pressure filter and linking to my existing filter, somethink like a fish mate 15000 ,or building my own filter out of a water butt.
What are your suggestions on the way forward or is there a better filter for the money.
My pond is 9ft 4ft and 4ft deep ,4078 litres ,870 gallons.
PS. I've got about 13 koi and 2 tench in my pond all different sizes from 20 inches to 4 inches in size.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is a lot of fish for that sized pond .Have you tested the water and do you have plants to suck up some of the nutrients .Is there a lot of fish waste on the bottom of the pond

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
With a fish load that large, I would venture to say that not only do you need a much larger filter, but also a larger pump.
You may come up short covering this with only £150.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With a fish load that large, I would venture to say that not only do you need a much larger filter, but also a larger pump.
You may come up short covering this with only £150.
The pump I have will pump 15000 litres a hours ,its turned down at the moment because the filter will not cope, I've just brought a fish mate bioforce 15000 with 13 watt UV light and I've already got a 16 watt kockney running ,I'm going to link the two filter together it should run better with the bio filter taking most of the solids and the box filter taking the finer stuff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20150516_211238.jpg

This is how clear my water was and has been for years I've checked all the pH ,nitrate levels today and their fine ,all I need to do is remove the fine stuff out the water

Rich17

Hi all
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you dont have a big budget for a new filter get one of ebay as you could get a bargin thats just had new filter media installed the 4 bay vortex filters are very good
I have had a pressure filter on my pond did not work well

Ask a Question