pond filter media recommended for the skippy filter system

Reaction score
lelrvt said:
Do the Koi eat your plants in the pond?
Yup ... the only one they have access to right now is the water cress at the waterfall and they have been going to town on it:-( The plant will recover, but I have an attachment to this plant LOL

Reaction score
addy1 said:
I have goldfish, they leave my plants alone, some seem to have plants and koi others have koi and no plants, guess it depends on the fish.
Even the few comets that have relocated themselves to the koi pond (lower pond) have been eating the water cress (not as agressive as our large koi) ... figure it's just the time of year and they are HUNGRY. Hoping as we feed more, and have bugs again, they will back off the plants and be kinder to them.

Reaction score
Addy, hold on to that Watercrest! I have a few koi babies from last spring in a 100 gallon tank in the house. They have devoured EVERY plant I have put in there. I am trying to find some kind of plant that will cover about 70 percent of the top of the pond during the summer for shade, place for the fish to hide (lots of hawks and Osprey around my house), and try to keep the water tenperature cooler over July, August, & September time frame. Will any plant live through koi?

Reaction score
lelrvt said:
I am trying to find some kind of plant that will cover about 70 percent of the top of the pond during the summer for shade, place for the fish to hide (lots of hawks and Osprey around my house), and try to keep the water tenperature cooler over July, August, & September time frame. Will any plant live through koi?
We have no shade over the main pond, and was too late in the season to get much for plants ... LOTS of water hyacinths (I started with 250), parrots feather, and creeping primrose were all MY FRIENDS ... warning on the water hyacinths ... the koi will tear off a lot of roots, so make sure your filter intake is protected ...

Reaction score
My pond is 2900 gallons and I have a 250 gallon tank. For the filter material I use plastic snow fence I think it cost about $10 dollars a roll and I bought two rolls. I also have blue filter media that I got from Amazon on the bottom to trap the dirt. That along with a 30 watt UV light keep the pond crystal clear.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So Home Depot was a wasted trip as usual ... drove an extra 40 minutes to go to Lowes instead ... Dont know why it has to be so difficult to get PVC parts here....

So on media ... people use lots of different things ... the items in this pic all fall into the scrubby catagory.

The big white round thing is a floor buffer pad. Can find them at most hardware stores. Here, they are color coded for different densities. A bit pricey compared to other options, but cheaper than the rolls of pond media that looks similar ... I think we pay something like $12-13 per floor buffing pad... The white chunk in the lower left is just a cut piece of the buffer pad ...

The other 3 "piles" all came from the Dollar Tree store ... beggars cant be choosers LOL ... top left (green ones) are really thin .. takes 4 of them to equal the thickness of the buffer pad (5 per pack for $1) ... the blue one ... that came as a 2 pack ... almost as thick as the buffer pad (2 pack for $1) ... I wanted more of this one, but all out ... the pink and blue ones below the blue pad ... another 2 pack ($1) ...

Nearly anything with a surface bacteria can grow on, that wont decompose can be used. In another filter, hubby has cut up pex tubing .... I've seen others cut up pvc pipe scraps ... use what you have on hand. We were getting low items to use, so more or less cleaned the Dollar Tree out of scrubbies for this one.

I used the floor buffer pads cut up for my skippies. Bought them in the tool rental section of home depot where they rent floor buffers.

worked well. Welcome btw! :)

Ask a Question