Pond filter not working, how to improve clarity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve a small 1000ltr pond I built myself. Volume is estimate as it’s hard to calculate. 3m long, 1m wide at widest, 0.6m deep at deepest but half is half as deep. Estimate 1000ltrs.

I have the following pump and filter:

My pond is always very murky. Green cloudy. Can only see 10cm or do down. See photos of pond and filter.

I am assuming the fine particles, algae, just go straight through my filter.

Before I waste loads of money trying things I wondered if anyone knew the reason from my setup. I have been wondering the following for example:

Filter box is too small for pump or pond. Algae goes straight over top of filters and out - should I get a bigger filter box?

Should I get UV light to clump it together so larger particles will filter?

Do I need material to filter finer particles?

I put Some evolution aqua pond in the filter but it did nothing.

Just wondered what I should do to have clear water.

Thanks

Attachments

• 28EBB2E2-7EBE-4C67-91C0-149FE60633EF.jpeg
    28EBB2E2-7EBE-4C67-91C0-149FE60633EF.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 74BD3770-9C94-4188-9AA2-0085BF1ABE2F.jpeg
    74BD3770-9C94-4188-9AA2-0085BF1ABE2F.jpeg
    304.9 KB · Views: 40

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Best bet is to add some sort of bog to your pond, or add lots of plants to it. Add plants that are quick growers but easy to remove as the spread. Ie water forgetmenots, water cress, creeping Jenny, water celery,, to name a few that fit the bill. All plants are not created equal in their ability to remove nutrients, so if you go this route, run them by us here and we will let you know if you are on the right track.

Your issue is excess nutrients in the pond feeding the algae, a box filter like you have usually won’t cut it long term in keeping your water clear. It’s all about finding a balance in your pond, right number of fish, right amount of circulation, properly set up filter system and right amount of plants to out compete the algae for nutrients.

Do a search on here for bogs, there are many ways to do one whether it be incorporated into the main pond to look natural or an above ground container bog that spills back into the pond all are equally effective an will get the job done.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a number of plants in there already, I guess no where near enough.

How big would a bog filter need to be?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have a number of plants in there already, I guess no where near enough.

How big would a bog filter need to be?
What types of plants? This matters, as the plants need to be quick aggressive growers, but ones that can be easily pruned back, slow growing plants will help but aren’t going to get the job done alone.

Bogs can be as small or large as you have room for, any size will help. There are some here I believe @mrsclem who uses or did use window planting boxes plumbed in tandem as mini bogs on her ponds. You can use a stock tank (non metal) as a bog, can be a little unsightly though.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here’s a full pic so you can see plants! There’s one more set with white flowers just off to the left it was cut off.

I’m researching how to make a bog filter. Pity I can’t find a tub pre made with pipes and fittings looks I’ll have to make one.

Attachments

• A4646EEF-AD07-41D5-9EFE-D4D1B8FB20DE.jpeg
    A4646EEF-AD07-41D5-9EFE-D4D1B8FB20DE.jpeg
    406.3 KB · Views: 48
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure I want it sitting on the edge. I was going to get a large rectangle tub and put it off to the side with a pipe bringing the water to where my current filter is. I can get a larger tub that way too. I’m worried going smaller wouldn’t work. So this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01EAZEBLO/. Only issue I’m having is trying to find correct fittings and I’d have to buy a larger drill bit to make the holes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I used a couple of raised planters and fitted them with pond liner. They are plumbed in with pex, then gravity flow into the pond. You can see them in the background of this photo.

Attachments

• E812BC5A-7108-45F0-B8CA-0660F9615489.jpeg
    E812BC5A-7108-45F0-B8CA-0660F9615489.jpeg
    353.6 KB · Views: 31
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've never had a bog filter, but if I ever get a chance for a do-over, that's the way I'm going. But for 20 years I've been using mechanical filtration with the usual bacterial friends helping out. That filter box you have would work well on a 20 gallon aquarium, but it's not near large enough for your pond. I have a 600 gallon little pond (a fiberglass tub from England) and I use an extra large plastic trash can loaded with various types of filtering material, having the water pumped into the bottom, flowing upwards, and exiting the top. I only have to clean it 2-3 times per year, and the water in the pond only gets a bit green in early spring while the plants in the pond are slowly waking up. It works for me. But again, if I could go back in time I would do a nice bog and skip the cleaning sessions...

Abby

Nature & zen lover, Aquatic plant sales
Reaction score
Central Texas… home of the 10 month summer! ;)
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not a quick solution but This bog design is something you may be able to add after the fact… it’s a wooden box in elevated ground with a snorkel and centipede routed to the bottom, where the water filters through the rocks and roots and then is redistributed to the pond via a stream and waterfall. All the growth you see is just since this spring as it largely dies off in the winter and comes back big time in the spring. Yields great water clarity as shown in pic.
CF4EE28B-B2B2-4F14-8938-0804B2BDB693.jpeg
E68F6B5A-1B00-40FD-AC8F-0804DBCB2329.jpeg

Abby

Nature & zen lover, Aquatic plant sales
Reaction score
Central Texas… home of the 10 month summer! ;)
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not a quick solution but This bog design is something you may be able to add after the fact… it’s a wooden box in elevated ground with a snorkel and centipede routed to the bottom, where the water filters through the rocks and roots and then is redistributed to the pond via a stream and waterfall. All the growth you see is just since this spring as it largely dies off in the winter and comes back big time in the spring. Yields great water clarity as shown in pic.View attachment 150776View attachment 150777
Sorry… meant to add we’ve had this set up for 2 years and the only maintenance so far is cleaning the skimmer and sporadic adjusting with chemicals as needed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Here are my add on raised grow beds. I have vegetables in them with the pump on a timer so the beds can drain, but you could do the same thing with bog plants and leave the pump running.

Attachments

• 1AE8F7EC-0CE7-4CDC-98F2-39869EAC5D6B.jpeg
    1AE8F7EC-0CE7-4CDC-98F2-39869EAC5D6B.jpeg
    303.3 KB · Views: 24

Ask a Question