pond filter/return design

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I’ve been going over my pond design and trying to work out a Filtration and return plan and have come up with the attached. Those who followed my first thread will notice a change in the design, this was to make the pond more formal and aesthetically pleasing.

A quick breakdown of the picture is as follows
Each BD, filter system and type of return is colour coded and will run independently of the other.
Red – BD 3 x200 Ltr Drum Filter system  2 x TPR
Blue – BD 3 x 200 Ltr Drum Filter system  2 x water walls (see attached picture)
Each individual filter system will comprise of a settlement drum to a bio filter drum to a fines/polishing filter drum back into the pond.
My Questions are:
Is 2 BD’s overkill or should I settle on one centralised BD and point TPR’s towards it and still run the 6 drums as 1 complete filtering system?
Will 2 TPR’s, one in each direction suffice or should I add a second making a total of 4 TPR’s?
Will the water walls add enough air to the water or will I need to add some via some form of aeration?
Also as I live in Victoria, Australia where Koi (carp)are classed as a noxious animal and therefore illegal to own, so it will be only goldfish can I reduce the depth to 80cm (approx 32in) or should I keep it at 1 meter (approx 40in)

Thanks
John

Attachments

• pond w-filter.jpg
    pond w-filter.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 302
  • water wall.jpg
    water wall.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 304

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That looks great, I have only built and used bog filters, so not much help with that question. You can not have enough too much filtration, but with goldies it is not as important. The water walls will add a lot of aeration, I had a water fall from my filter, it kept the water well aerated. The deeper you keep the pond, the more stable the temperature will be. I would stay with deeper if you can.

Ask a Question