Pond Filter system advise Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone

Its been a long time since using this forum, hope youre all well and safe?

Ive just taken on another job to build quite a large pond but im wondering what filter system to use.

below is a link to the last build i did. This next project is basically the same design only quite alot bigger

This next prjoect will have a 22m circumference in a kind of kindney shape with an average depth of 1m (Deepest part 1.5m)

ive done some calulations and i think itlls be around 16000 to 20000Litres

The customer Doesent intend on having Koi but that may change.
there will be a smaller pond built about 3m away and were planning some kind of natural stream between the 2.

My question is about the filter and pump system.

previously i used an Oase Kit (cant remember what size) and really liked it, the pond had good healthy koi in it for many years without a problem.
here is a link to the system i was thinking of purchasing for this next project.

The idea here is to build a pond that requires minimal maintenence.

Any advise welcomed but bare in mind, im not a pond expert.

Many thanks

James

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm always a bit concerned when someone builds a pond for someone else but announces that they "aren't a pond expert"- haha! But it looks like your first one turned out fine, so that's good!

The basic goal with filtration is to turn over the whole volume of the pond 1.5 to 2 times per hour. Anything beyond that is personal preference really. Many have their favorite brand, some look for energy efficiency. if you had good luck with an Oase pump no reason not to stick with it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I appreciate your concern regarding not being an expert pond builder... That said I think this will be pond number 4 that I've build for someone else plus a small one for myself.
Touch wood I've not had a single complaint 'yet'
Anyhoo...

The Oase filter system has always been my first choice from my own experience, I just thought I'd seek extra advice due to this project being quite alot bigger before making any purchases.

I think the Oase 30.0000 pump and filter system will be ample for what I have in mind.

'if' Koi was to be introduced in the future if probably recommend a similar system to be added along side the Oase 30.000 .

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I would look into doing a bog for filtration, instead of a store bought filter. Basically, making another pond that would spill into the main pond. Bog or wetland pond/filter would be filled with pea gravel and water pumped up from bottom through either slotted pvc pipes or centipede and snorkel with aqua blocks, then spill back into main pond. As long as sized appropriately this filter system would handle just about anything you could throw at it.

Nice looking pond build by the way.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would look into doing a bog for filtration, instead of a store bought filter. Basically, making another pond that would spill into the main pond. Bog or wetland pond/filter would be filled with pea gravel and water pumped up from bottom through either slotted pvc pipes or centipede and snorkel with aqua blocks, then spill back into main pond. As long as sized appropriately this filter system would handle just about anything you could throw at it.

Nice looking pond build by the way.
Hi Jhn

Thanks for the compliment on my other build :)

Would you be able to post a link or picture to what you are referring to please?
The only reason i intended on using the Oase 30.000 if for the easy maintenence. the customers are basically planning the garden and pond for their retirement and want little or no maintenence. ive so far landscaped the garden with ramps and composite decking ect for lowest maintenence and expence in the years to come.

Btw, the second/top/smaller pond is literally just a small pool for patio decoration and wond be used for fish hence not believing it would be a problem to have water pumped up from the main pond with the oase system.

I forgot to mention i had (maybe) planned for a rain water top up system from a nr by steel shed roof (New) to replenish evaporated water! :)

P.s A rough Price comparison between your sugestion and the oase system would be helpful if possible, more importantly would be maintence comparison :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any thoughts.. I'm starting to wonder what would be best.
I've half dug out the pond and my concern is having enough power to get the water pumped up through the filter and into the second pool/pond whilst also having enough of a flow to sustain a natural looking stream back to the main pond.
Now if made a start I can see it's going to be a rise of around 2 meters from the deepest section of pond with a distance of around 3.5 or possibly 4meter once the water base made its way through a filter system.
Although it looks like a bomb site so far I've attached a pic
IMG_20200501_125700_0.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow you have a lot of neat looking plants just sitting their waiting to find their spot near that nice big pond!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hi Jhn

Thanks for the compliment on my other build :)

Would you be able to post a link or picture to what you are referring to please?
The only reason i intended on using the Oase 30.000 if for the easy maintenence. the customers are basically planning the garden and pond for their retirement and want little or no maintenence. ive so far landscaped the garden with ramps and composite decking ect for lowest maintenence and expence in the years to come.

Btw, the second/top/smaller pond is literally just a small pool for patio decoration and wond be used for fish hence not believing it would be a problem to have water pumped up from the main pond with the oase system.

I forgot to mention i had (maybe) planned for a rain water top up system from a nr by steel shed roof (New) to replenish evaporated water! :)

P.s A rough Price comparison between your sugestion and the oase system would be helpful if possible, more importantly would be maintence comparison :)

somehow missed this post, probably a little large for the current build you just finished, but was thinking more of future builds. Shot of centipede and snorkel. Snorkel is vertical pipe that sticks above gravel/stone bed, centipede is horizontal portion that water is pumped into initially, under the aqua blocks and stone bed.

1588631288072.gif

Here is a shot of the bog on my pond that I just redid using these and the aqua blocks.
1588631520973.jpeg
6372356C-3D02-4D8A-84BF-55F85096370E.jpeg
3315317C-64F8-48F9-8C1C-7207557F5BAC.jpeg

Definitely not cheap though, centipede and snorkel both are looking at around $900, took 40 aqua blocks for me that can cost around $50-60 per block although deals can be had if you buy enough of them( got mine for $28 a pop). Definitely not cheaper than any off the shelf filter.Then cost of layer of 4-6” rock on top of blocks, layer of 2-4” rock, then 18” deep of 3/4” pea gravel to plant plants in. Would be a few grand in cost for most, but between the deals I got and I use a lot of rock in my business, so that cost was pretty minimal.

Maintenance on this is pulling plants as needed and maybe once a year sticking a utility pump down in the snorkel to pump out any fine solids that build up in there. This will beat any man made filter hands down on keeping the water quality up and never having algae problems during the year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
The lowest maintenance would be a bog filter. Perfect for your retired clients.
No rinsing filter pads or cleaning any filters at all. The bog can go on for years. I believe it was member addy1 that said hers was going on 10 years without any problems. As stated, you might only have to thin out some of the plant roots once in a while.

There are many good threads on bogs here. Do a search and read about them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The lowest maintenance would be a bog filter. Perfect for your retired clients.
No rinsing filter pads or cleaning any filters at all. The bog can go on for years. I believe it was member addy1 that said hers was going on 10 years without any problems. As stated, you might only have to thin out some of the plant roots once in a while.

There are many good threads on bogs here. Do a search and read about them.
Thanks for the advise.. do you have any recommendations as to what filter and pump?
It looks like it's going to be 30.000L+ atm. I will do a more detailed calculation soon though!

Cheers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
With a bog, you pump the water from your pond into PVC pipes covered with 12" of pea gravel. The PVC pipes have slits cut in them every inch or so to evenly distribute the water throughout the bog. You grow plants directly in the gravel without any pots. The solids get filtered by the gravel and the plants feed on the excess nutrients in the water that rises up. You have a low point in the bog wall feeding the water back to the pond. The results are clear pond water and no commercial filters or UV lights are needed. No rinsing of filter pads or backwashing filters. Almost zero maintenance. If your pond is small, you can build a bog out of a stock tank or build a wooden box with a liner in it.
20200428_140724.jpg

20200504_101610.jpg

I had totally green water and couldn't see my fish unless they came to the surface.
The bog has been running for three days and now I can see the fish about a foot down. Every day it gets better.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is my water at the 5 foot deep level, filtered with only a bog. It is always this clear, the only time the water is murky is when I turn the pumps on first time in the spring. My pump is external, I pull it for the winter.
20160912_122713.jpg

Ask a Question