Pond filter

Reaction score
Hi i have recently brought a pond and am un the process of setting it up, i am nopt sure if there is a filter available for a pond that does not need elctrical power?

I have looked up on the internet and have come across pressurised filters but they do not mention if power is needed any help or suggestions on this as i do not want a electrical filter or pump??

Reaction score
All filters are gonna need some type of power. I do believe there are some solar powered small pond fountains. Is this a barrel pond or something of the such?

Reaction score
hi thanks for your reply, the pond is not a barallel but quite a large pond with curved edges.

Reaction score
It used as biological filter.t is less important to remove particles from water than it is to process nitrogen, so if there is to be a compromise between mechanical and biological, err on the side of biological. In other words, it is better to allow particles below a certain size to escape back into the pond and to convert a great deal of ammonia to nitrate, than it is to catch every little thing down to a micron or less and in the process slow the water down to the point where the bacteria have a hard time living. The bacteria that do this work for us are among a class of bacteria that we have all heard of before, they are the so-called, “nitrogen fixing” bacteria.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You have to use some form of power.

Beckham makes small pumps that have a filter elements built in. I used them for about 12 years. It is a pain to clean but only takes a few minutes and you get used to it. You will need to run an extension cord to it. Mine ran 24/7 and used so little electricity, I never even noticed it on my bill. Home Depot carries them and the best part is they have a 2 year warrantee.

Ask a Question