pond filter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small lined pond,which is too far away from an electricity source to have a permanent pump and filter. Would it be viable for me to have a temporary setup with pump and filter to clear the water a couple of times a season ? The pond only holds about 1000 litres,probably less, but I would like to see my few fish now and again!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1587049427517.gif
@bandersnatch
You would need to run it 24/7. If you can't do that maybe a better way for you would be to run some clean water in and old water out slowly doing both at the same time so as not to shock the fish. Like having an inside fish bowl. Treat your water w/dechlorinater if you are using city water.
Would be better tho to have the filter/pump going all the time.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 127620@bandersnatch
You would need to run it 24/7. If you can't do that maybe a better way for you would be to run some clean water in and old water out slowly doing both at the same time so as not to shock the fish. Like having an inside fish bowl. Treat your water w/dechlorinater if you are using city water.
Would be better tho to have the filter/pump going all the time.
As I said, I don't have a nearby electricity source,so have to power up using an extension cable. I do realise that it would be preferable to have a permanent installation,no can do. If I drain/fill as you suggest,I would still need a pump on an extension, so my thinking is why not filter as I pump, whenever I can i.e. dry weather, me keeping an eye on things electrical.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You can try all of that and see how it goes. Whatever works for you, trial and error. Let us know how it goes and would love to see some pictures of your pond and how you end up getting it to stay nice and healthy for the fish. Lots of plants in the water will help suck up the nutrients from the fish poo also and that will help keep it clean and clearer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
50 feet of hardcore and gravel.
I don't know what hardcore means, but 50 feet is not that far to dig a narrow trench. You can lay either a conduit or a direct burial cable in the trench. Conduit is preferred, since it's more protective of the wires and you can pull whatever you want through it and depending on it's size, you can add circuits later if needed.
If digging areas with a lot of stone and your having difficulty with a shovel, try a pitch fork or something with narrow spikes to loosen the soil. It's not that difficult. Just take your time. It doesn't have to be done in one day. In the end, you'll have electric out by your pond to power whatever you want.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know what hardcore means, but 50 feet is not that far to dig a narrow trench. You can lay either a conduit or a direct burial cable in the trench. Conduit is preferred, since it's more protective of the wires and you can pull whatever you want through it and depending on it's size, you can add circuits later if needed.
If digging areas with a lot of stone and your having difficulty with a shovel, try a pitch fork or something with narrow spikes to loosen the soil. It's not that difficult. Just take your time. It doesn't have to be done in one day. In the end, you'll have electric out by your pond to power whatever you want.
In the UK hardcore is a load of rubble,bricks,etc. rolled to form a very hard surface over which to lay gravel or whatever as a surface usually about 6-9 inches deep for vehicles to roll over. But I take your point. At 78, time is of the essence for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Oh! Now I understand what you meant! That sounds impossible to dig! At least by hand. 78! I'm 62 and I'm struggling a bit! We're not getting any younger and I don't have the stamina that I used to.

Time to go to plan B for your project, whatever that might be...

I heard solar pumps are not that great, but maybe you can look into that. Maybe they've improved them.

I'm digging my bog right now. Took a 5 minute break. Where I live in Pennsylvania, there's more rock than dirt. I'm bustin' my butt. I just pried out a big boulder and not sure I can roll it out of the area.

Well...back to work for me...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How many and what kind and size are your fish? Do you have any plants in the water?
5 small fish, last time I saw them, rudd and goldfish. Plants in margins,some floating, got lilies coming soon. Frogs are happy in the pond,also dragonflies(damsels).The first year the pond was clear it was areal pleasure-year three, and I spend most of the time finding ways to to clear algae,but the water is still very opaque.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know that you can get a solar panel and hook a pump to it with battery back up .If you build a small filter tank and only put in a solar pump it may work in clearing it up .You could put quilt batting in the filter and rinse it out

Ask a Question