Pond filtering questions

Reaction score
Hello everyone--so I was at my cousins all day yesterday watching her husband and mine build their first new pond. Anyhow he has some questions on how to go about filtering it and I have no idea how to really answer because he has done his pond different than what I have. It is kidney bean shaped with an upper small pond that will overflow over some rocks into the bigger pond. He will have a skimmer box at the far end but no waterfall box which is what I have with all my bio-balls in there for the bacteria so my question is what would you suggest?? The upper isn't very deep but he talked about piping in under it to make a fountain come up out of it??? What sort of filter set up would you suggest I refer him to? He called me to ask about using two pumps..one for his filter and the other to run the falls? I have no idea what filter he is using but he said it will be on the bottom of the pond? He was wanting to go all external but I think has since changed his mind only because he hasn't seen any good ones I guess. I would love to show you a picture but I do not have any--size is 32x20x3 total-around 6,000 gallons..Also he does have a small bog area and I was wondering if he should filter through it so the water is moving? It is a very shallow area which will need to be rocked around so the fish don't get eaten but that is just my opinion...Any suggestions would be great.thanks Amber

Reaction score
I figured out how to upload a pic from my phone....This is the new pond owner sitting in the upper pond area,will try and get a better pic later if possible. Thanks Amber

Attachments

• IMAG0341.jpg
    IMAG0341.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 381
Reaction score
He wants to get a 5,000GPH pump to run through a filter and then a 3,000GPH to run from skimmer box to upper falls? I am still trying to think on what would be the easiest filter system....hmmmm HELP lol

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have him look at the diy sections for some information on home built filters. The skippies, docs, fishin filters would work for him. They do a great job keeping the pond clean.

Have the skimmer opposite of the waterfall, that will help the skimmer collect the junk.

If he is doing a bog, he may want to plump it like I have done mine, it does work great.
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/6894-bog-building/

Hard to answer ??'s without really knowing what he is thinking. I like external, not sure what he means by a filter in the pond, unless just a filter around a submersible.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sounds like a very big project to me and I can see why he's laying in the shade w/ his drink in hand. If it were me doing it I'd do the bog thingy and it adds a nice area for nice plants to grow and look pretty.

Reaction score
I want to make a bog, too! I was thinking for next Spring.....but, I can't get it out of my head. Is it too late in the season to do it now?
Also, I have read and re-read the instructions, but I just don't understand the part about drilling holes every 6" and cutting slits every 1 to 1.5". I wish there was a clear picture somewhere, but everywhere I look it's the same instructions. Maybe it's too simple and I'm trying to make it more difficult in my mind.....I think I understand the holes (although what diameter) but I don't get the slit thing. So if you're holding the pipe from east to west on a table in front of you, do you litterally cut slits (is a hand saw okay?) from north to south?
Do the holes you drill 6" apart go all in a straight row the length of the pipe or do you scatter them around? Then do the slits go on the opposite side of the holes if they are a straight line.......oh geeze, I am confused.......sorry...... :redface:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I want to make a bog, too! I was thinking for next Spring.....but, I can't get it out of my head. Is it too late in the season to do it now?
Also, I have read and re-read the instructions, but I just don't understand the part about drilling holes every 6" and cutting slits every 1 to 1.5". I wish there was a clear picture somewhere, but everywhere I look it's the same instructions. Maybe it's too simple and I'm trying to make it more difficult in my mind.....I think I understand the holes (although what diameter) but I don't get the slit thing. So if you're holding the pipe from east to west on a table in front of you, do you litterally cut slits (is a hand saw okay?) from north to south?
Do the holes you drill 6" apart go all in a straight row the length of the pipe or do you scatter them around? Then do the slits go on the opposite side of the holes if they are a straight line.......oh geeze, I am confused.......sorry...... :redface:

LOL you can a: drill holes OR b: cut slits. We cut slits, 1/3 of the way through the pvc with a saw, reciprocating saw. I prefer slits, less chance of them getting blocked. The slits are cut perpendicular to the pipe. I have my cuts facing down to the liner with an extra piece of liner below the pipe so the constant water flow does not pound on the real liner. I have mine facing down so gravel etc can't drop into the holes or slits.

Reaction score
Okay, so I looked up perpendicular, LOL, and it is what I thought it was, again LOL....

and I looked up recipricating saw and we don't have one of those. But, we have a hand saw that will do the same thing only it's not electric, just gotta love me don't ya!

So, do you think that it's too late in the season to do? I live in central New York, between Syracuse and Rochester.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Okay, so I looked up perpendicular, LOL, and it is what I thought it was, again LOL....

and I looked up recipricating saw and we don't have one of those. But, we have a hand saw that will do the same thing only it's not electric, just gotta love me don't ya!

So, do you think that it's too late in the season to do? I live in central New York, between Syracuse and Rochester.

Hand saw, jig saw, anything that will cut pvc. I have a small hack saw i use to cut pvc quite often, but it won't make a wide cut. You do want a decent size slot, 1/8-1/4 inch.
Nope, I started my plants last year, around october I think, hardy plants, just stuck them in, they had a good head start once it warmed up.
If you can't find plants I have an abundance and could send you a box full just for postage.

Reaction score
Thank you so much Addy :) :)

Now I just need to pic some plants! I may take you up on your offer! I know I want some dwarf cattails. I need to think of the best way to do the bog. I would like it to be at the end of the pond which is at the top of this picture.

Attachments

• IMG00968-20110825-1822.jpg
    IMG00968-20110825-1822.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 347

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I caution you on the dwarf cattails, they will spread and spread pretty fast, so be sure you are up to the task of having to pull them out regularly to keep them confined to the area that you want them. It may help if you keep them in a pot but not sure, mine were just pieces that I stuck between rocks.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you so much Addy :) :)

Now I just need to pic some plants! I may take you up on your offer! I know I want some dwarf cattails. I need to think of the best way to do the bog. I would like it to be at the end of the pond which is at the top of this picture.

Look these up, I have enough to send you some.

agree tmann the cattails do spread! not too bad yet.........lol

Obediant plant
dwarf cattails
Water Willow
Marsh betony
4 leaf water clover
fuzzy 4 leaf water clover
mini spearwort
penny wort
water mint
blue water forget me not
various rushes

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you for the list, Addy! I still may have to wait till Spring as I will need to buy a new pump :(

Just remind me in the spring, when they start coming up I will have tons of plants.

Ask a Question