Pond Filters

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
If cost wasn't a primary conscern, what is the easiest pond filter to buy? Right now I have a submersible one and its a pain because you have to get flat on your belly to even reach it, pull it out, clean it, then back on your belly to screw it back in. Wish I knew the name but it looks like a black paper towl rack with plastic mesh.

I'm helping a friend build her pond, probably around 1000 gallons and I'm looking for an easier alternative for her.

Any ideas would be great :)

There will be a waterfall if that makes a difference.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if the 55 gallon drum is too big, you may want to look into a stocktank filter, easily hid as a waterfall (plans in diy section) or a pressurized filter you can bury them anywhere up to the lid

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Your bio filter can be located remotely. DrCase and others have done this. You can hide it behind a fence or wherever it will fit.

Reaction score
The EasyPro and other brand filterfalls are another option. With planning these can be integrated into the waterfall build and hidden. I can only speak for the EasyPro and it works very well as a biofilter, but not as well as a fines filter. Also, it doesn't come with a genuine draining system so has to be modified if you want to be able to flush it well.

Other brands may be better, e.g. Savio's filterfalls units. I've looked at their filtration systems and they seem top notch. The build of their filterfalls units is smaller than EasyPro too.

Problem with these units is they are expensive compared to the equally effective DIY systems folks here have built.

Ask a Question