Pond Filtration w/Waterfall holding tank

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and relatively new to ponds. I inherited a large pond (8'x44') on moving into a new house, and have a bunch of questions not surprisingly..

Attached is a plan, and two images to give you the idea. My plan is to vacuum as much of the visible algae & debris out (done), plant out the 'bog' or shallow area and start an algaefix treatment. I'm only stocking with comet goldfish for now. The pond was emptied, cleaned and refilled last summer.

My core question is how to best use the waterfall for a mechanical and biological filter. Should I just add a large mesh bag of lava rock down there for example? Right now it's just a 4 foot deep (by 3x3 ft) lined hole (see diagram) - feels like this was designed to be a filter system with the right media..

Attachments

• Blank Diagram - Page 1.png
    Blank Diagram - Page 1.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_3444.JPG
    IMG_3444.JPG
    271.7 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_3442.JPG
    IMG_3442.JPG
    306.6 KB · Views: 233

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Do not use algae fix read the label it is a chemical that is dangerous ,I use peroxide instead or add some liquid barley .Lava rock to me is the best filtering material

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Considering the excellent water clarity and the minimum growth of algae on the rocks, my question is: Why do you feel the need to add any algicide?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That feeds your fish and keeps the pond healthy and the fish healthier .By the way I really love your pond and that little house and wow what neat rocks .If you really have meaning really have to have clean rocks that are exposed the yu can turn off your pump for half hour and spray peroxide on them and wait then turn pump back on and hose off the stuff where water does not hit the rocks .Algae turns white and will float into your filter .You need to have something to catch dead algae like quilt batting in a basket .But to me algae is the ultimate safety net for your fish and their health .In nature you see streams and they have algae but clean water

Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting; what about the algae in the middle / deeper sections that result in not seeing any of the fish since that is where they hang out?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The best thing is an aerator with an air stone in that area .Interesting that they hang out in the middle have they been scared of something .Deeper parts of ponds are usually used for hiding from a scary thing that might get them .

Ask a Question