Pond fish food

Reaction score
We have been buying pond fish food at Agway for over twenty years...We started off with 50 lb. bags of Rise Fish
food for 18:00 ...then they changed to strike 40 lbs for about 24:00...They changed it again this year to Sportsman’s
choice- 40 lbs for about 28:00 ( can’t exactly recall how much it was)
Our fish thrive on this food...As a matter of fact for the first time in many years they spawned this summer...
I highly recommend this food - if you have an agway near you try it out...

This is it
7CE9A865-2A8E-47B4-A568-E413BB63070E.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I use Drs. Foster and Smith Staple Diet Koi Food. Here are their ingredients.

Ingredients
Menhaden Fish Meal Based, Rice Bran, Wheat Flour, Shrimp Meal, Poultry By-Product Meal, Wheat Middlings, Kelp Meal, Ground Wheat, Propionic Acid (a preservative), Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Iron Oxide, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Magnesium Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Sodium Selenite.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein38% min.
Crude Fat6% min.
Crude Fiber4% max.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your fish look beautiful and seem huge! Clearly your routine seems to be working. I was told by my "pond guy" to not feed any food that had any corn in it which ended up being hard to do so I made my own! That being said I used Tetra Pond Spring and Fall floating pond sticks that a rescue place (compassion critters) in California recommended. They loved it and I may use it again when the weather turns colder. Here is a link to my homemade food :):

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The Drs. Foster and Smith Staple Diet has no corn. I don't like to feed that either and most of the less expensive foods tend to be corn based.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is another question. Many on the forum have said they do not feed their fish at all and they can get all their nutrition from algae and insects in the pond. So does what you feed them really matter (unless it is bad for them of course) in that sense?

Reaction score
We feed them a couple of times a day...in between they scurry up what they can get from the pond.
In the fall we feed them more frequently, and feed them a good crop of worms to bulk them up
for their long winter nap. We have had much success with our koi.

May, one time I made food, but discontinued doing so because it muddied up the water. Did you
find that happening with your homemade food?

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Here is another question. Many on the forum have said they do not feed their fish at all and they can get all their nutrition from algae and insects in the pond. So does what you feed them really matter (unless it is bad for them of course) in that sense?
Generally for goldfish it’s ok to let them forage but I don’t believe the same is true for koi.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We feed them a couple of times a day...in between they scurry up what they can get from the pond.
In the fall we feed them more frequently, and feed them a good crop of worms to bulk them up
for their long winter nap. We have had much success with our koi.

May, one time I made food, but discontinued doing so because it muddied up the water. Did you
find that happening with your homemade food?
Nope water is clear

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here's a video showing the food and the feeding frenzy :).
Home made food contains fresh broccoli, frozen peas, hemp hearts, carrots, rolled oats, wheat germ, chlorella and spirulina tablets, sweet potato, raspberries, strawberries, garlic, linseed (flaxseed) oil, agar agar etc and then baked into a sheet in a steam oven and cut into delicious, soft, rubbery squares. Yum!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Ingredients: Wheat germ meal, White fish meal, Shrimp meal, Spirulina, Soybean meal, dried sour whey, dehydrated alfalfa, Brewers dried yeast, various vitamins and minerals.

Guaranteed Analysis:

• Crude Protein (min): 32%
  • Crude Fat (min): 4%
  • Crude Fiber (max) 4%
  • Crude Ash (max): 16%
  • Moisture (max): 10%
These are the ingredients in the food I feed my koi.

Ask a Question