pond for ducks yuck! Filter help please..lol

Reaction score
oh need help here..lol i really want my ducks to b able to use this pond "prefab" i found for playing in but I have to make it reasonably clean.. can i make a filter to do the job?? for now hubby found a 60 yr old pump called hypromatic pump that 5 gallons a min that well for now im going to use cause i cant really scrape up the 50 to 100 bux needed for a new submersible pump..
Any homemade filter ideas for me? will it get rid of the fecal matter? i did learn about the chemical u add to turn the yucky stuff into gas.. how quick does that work? im in the dark here.. Please help :) ty

Reaction score
Good luck farmgirlinmi!
Reminds me of he first pond we ever had. Itwas 8' x 10' and 4' deep. Had a three teir waterfall and we spent all our time watching the fish and enjoying the sound of the water. Then we had a great idea ...... let's get each of our three children a baby duck for the pond, what a great thing for the Easter bunny to bring.....
within 3 days the thing was destroyed. Green water and duck poo everywhere! (I was hosing our deck off several times a day) They ate the plants and layed on them breaking all of the surrounding landscaping. What a mess. Hope your experience turns out happier than ours!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
27 Years ago i got my 1 year old boy some ducks have a few cute pics of him in the tub with them
We kept them on are back porch and had a few boards stood up to keep them corralled
We went some were one night and came back one of the boards was down but the ducks were all still in there spot :dunno:
But they made a visit into are kitchen OMG ;) What a mess

Reaction score
lol well was hoping for it will workadvice lol.. i think i have a decent filter idea.. it can filter entire pond within 30 to 45 min im goin to keep my fingers crossed its enough to keep the poo to a minimum soo for starters i drained the pond and am goin to start out fresh so the filter has itleast a chance to keep up with them ducks! they had a 5 day headstart first time and see how it goes.. worst comes to worst I guess its glorified duck retreat and i will drain and add fresh once a week.. :( ill update in few days as to wether the pond can keep up with them suckers.. I havent landscaped it yet and ive already come to conclusion that i will only lanscape the side there not using to get out and put rocks/gravel on other
smile.png
and yes they like to pick anything in there to death so see how my arrowroot does..lol

Reaction score
We have 3 ducks that found our pond. They've been coming around for over a week now.

Ducks.jpg

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i had this mum visit my old pond a few years ago her ducklings hatched in a garden up the road and she stopped off for about a day with her little family ... was lovely and the fish didnt seem to mind .. but what a mess to clear up when they moved on

Attachments

• ducks3.JPG
    ducks3.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 535
Reaction score
I'm thinkin ill end up draining and refilling the pond twice a week i bet which is too bad i even made a nifty mini skippy filter.. maybe ill get lucky and they wont spend all there time in there.. :alieneyesa:

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
mainly ducks are attracted to water during early spring,peak time for them to have there babies.Once April and May is over they should move on......well least mine did.

Reaction score
Our ducks have been back every day now. They are they in the morning, afternoon, and evening. They don't spend too much time in the pond, most of the time is spent on the railings or wandering around the yard.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
I take back my last post.............I see ya waddling yer way towards the water.......

Attachments

• thepair.jpg
    thepair.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 460
Reaction score
Country
United States
Check out my thread post. I am struggling with the same thing. I had a beautiful pond and the family got the bright idea to add ducks. Now have no plants and a green poo filled pond. I have a biological filter system, a UV light and have added hundreds of dollars worth of chemicals. No good so far. I am thinking of changing out the bio filter for a combo mechanical/bio filter system that is triple what I would normally need for the size of pond. There bright idea is costing me a lot of money and of course, I won't get rid of the ducks now because they are cute and I am slightly attached.

Ask a Question