Pond fountain gone furry green

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

newbie here I have a kidney shape pond , I left if two weeks with pump on before adding 9 2-5 inch koi. But 4 days after adding fish my rock fountain has gone furry green ‍♀️ Is that normal? My pond is clear though

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 89
Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum.

Some algae and moss in a pond is normal and healthy. I also sincerely like that mossy look. Many natural springs grow algae like that.

Somebody else might have something to say about koi in a pond that size, but I won't, since I don't keep koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
underwater, ATTACHED algae is a good thing; you're fine. You actually want your underwater surfaces coated with this type algae as the fish will eat it plus it's helping keep your water clear.

Now, we HAVE to talk re koi and your pond size; the general rule of thumb, IF you want to keep all your koi alive and healthy, is 1000 gallons for the FIRST koi and 250-500 gallons for the next. I bet your preform isn't even 1000 gallons, so...while they're young, you'll have small issue but they grow really fast and can reach 30". @Lisak1 has a chart showing the relative bioload per koi as they grow; it's eye-opening. The output from koi isn't linear as they grow, it's more exponential. Hard to give away fish but easier before you have problems and aren't as attached. You'll run the risk of losing every one of them if they stay in such a small pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum.

Some algae and moss in a pond is normal and healthy. I also sincerely like that mossy look. Many natural springs grow algae like that.

Somebody else might have something to say about koi in a pond that size, but I won't, since I don't keep koi.
already on the job, Marck!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

thanks for your replies. Oh good I’m glad it’s ok! As far as how many I have in the pond , I’ve only just begun ( in the words of Karen carpenter) lol. I’m adding a second pond, joining them together with a large tunnel area , so they will have their own water shoot . I’ll upload updates

Jagsfan

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Hi guys

thanks for your replies. Oh good I’m glad it’s ok! As far as how many I have in the pond , I’ve only just begun ( in the words of Karen carpenter) lol. I’m adding a second pond, joining them together with a large tunnel area , so they will have their own water shoot . I’ll upload updates
How big is the second pond going to be? You could have 10 ponds connected together, but if the total water volume is only 1000 gallons....thats still not large enough to keep the amount of Koi you have when they start growing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How big is the second pond going to be? You could have 10 ponds connected together, but if the total water volume is only 1000 gallons....thats still not large enough to keep the amount of Koi you have when they start growing.
I’ve started to gather that now , after lengthy discussion with my brother I’ll be extending 10ft by 8 ft 3 ft deep. I’m quite excited about it now. Going to be a lot of hard work but worth it in the end. I’ve also been watching some really good YouTube videos on how to build your own large filter pump cheap and cheerful but very good. Right now though my koi are happy friendly healthy and still small. So they will be ok until the rest is completed.

Ask a Question