Pond Fountain Suggestions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have for a while now been having problems with fountains in my pond. I clean them regularly and do all the required maintenance but they just keep on breaking and often after cleaning refuse to turn on (yes I have cleaned the impeller and chamber the amount of times people have said that is just infuriating). I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of a fountain that is any good because they all seem rubbish, it doesn't needs to be a filter one necessarily as I already have an eternal pond filter the pumping water in at the rear, this is purely to agitate the water in the centre of the pond.

Please help a distressed pond owner.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1621787093976.gif
and welcome @Tompond88
I have fought the plugged up fountains and I finally just gave up. Sorry!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

I don't have a fountain, so can't really help you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Tompond88 ! I think clogging is going to be inevitable with a pond - too much debris to really avoid the problem. I'm assuming these all have filters on them of some type?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Instead of a fountain there's always air bublers tgat will give you plenty of agitation. Or just a small pump that is at the right height to create a thick fountain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
What I have is a homemade sort of fountain/filter.

It's a bucket with a 550gph submersible pump in the bottom. I have a 1/2" PVC pipe screwed to the outlet of the pump rising up to the level just below the water surface. The pump is covered with lava rock.

The bucket sits on the bottom of the pond.

The handle of the bucket is up and tied to the PVC pipe so I can stick a pole through it for lowering and retrieving the bucket when needed.
So, the water gets sucked in through the top of the bucket, filters through the lava rock and shoots up above the water surface about 10 inches or so.
It won't clog because it's a 1/2" pipe.

I did experiment with making a nozzle out of a 1/2" pvc cap with holes drilled in it, but I prefer the pipe to be wide open.

I run this thing 24/7, 365 days. And pull it for cleaning in the fall and spring.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
FWIW, the Laguna pumps with the clamshell cage around them will run longer before they clog, but it doesn't eliminate the problem. Another thing that works quite well is to put the punp inside two of the mesh planting baskets with the riser stem coming through a hole in the top. A couple of electrical ties will hold the baskets together.
John

Ask a Question