Pond Frog

Reaction score
I found a frog in my pond when removing my fish for the winter. The pond is not deep enough to winter the fish, I move them into an aquarium in my workshop, what should I do with the frog?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would just leave the frog, they know what they need to do to survive the winter. and welcome to our group!

Reaction score
Yes,

Welcome Mike!

As Addy stated, the wild frogs that take up residence in your pond do know what to do in order to survive winter.
I would just let him/her go in the grass and let the frog figure it out. The frog is a lot smarter and more adept at surviving nature's elements than we are. He came from the wild, he understands the wild and he will go back to the wild. If you are lucky, he will probably return to your domestic pond in the spring. Either that, or he will be basking in the sun at some other pond when the warm weather returns.

Gordy

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
The wild frogs around me are stupid. I've had to clean 2 of them out from the pump impeller. They got inside the mesh cage around the pump and got ground up in the intake. It's a pain to take the mesh cage apart to get the pump out to clean it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have had to pull a few from the skimmer, they seem to love that basket. Don't get hurt just can't get back out.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They get in my filter tanks and there are so many the filter tanks look black .They get taken down to the creek in bucket fulls and I think of it as populating the world with frogs .I'm the johnny appleseed of frogs lol :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I had lots of frogs this summer, several different types, and they are all gone, except one that jumped into the pond from my bog last week! Not sure what it was, but thinking it was a bullfrog. I suspect I may see him this afternoon, if the sun ever comes out here! Calling all sunbeams .... please present yourself over south central Illinois, if you please!!! :LOL:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had that concrete tub with plants in it and do you know I still have tadpoles in it .Gosh frogs enough is enough .I want to put the plants that are in there into the basement soon .I guess I have to send a note to cut it out .Gosh country supposed to get up to 70 here again and sun is out here and winds have finally stopped blowing .I'm glad on days like this that I moved a little farther south .I want change in weather thats why I did not go farther south and did not want those nasty hurricanes either

Reaction score
I noticed on one website while I was looking for pond plants, that they were also selling bullfrog tadpoles. That would be really neat for my pond/tank. I wouldn't have to buy them, I know where to catch them, but they weren't very expensive. I might build some little shelves in my tank for frogs to rest on. Would be really wonderful to hear them croaking at night in the summer. If I don't get too many, I could place a lamp over the tank to attract insects to the tank for them to feed on. The ultimate "natural" bug zapper!

Gordy

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Build it they will come, I had no frogs, now have three plus varieties. They started showing up the first year the pond was built. We have all sort of different noises coming from them.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hmmm red neck bug zapper and no electric .I laugh at people here talking how a nice cold beer and sitting and watching the bug zapper is great fun .Well at least frog zappers would be better as long as they don't escape .I get those frogs with the little suction feet .Thats why I checked out snails for the pond .cleaning machines

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I get tons of bullfrog tadpoles in the summer in my farm pond. The bull frogs found my pond on their own, even though I was VERY tempted to net some of the tadpoles. I had several different varieties, too. I was soooo wanting a leopard frog, and finally got several of them towards the end of the summer. Had numerous bullfrogs, some were named. LOL My favorites early when the pond was first filled in June were called Northern Cricket frogs, Gorgeous lime green patterns on their backs, all different so I could tell who was who. And, the little spring peepers, too. Have one pic of a black and light tan frog next to each other on plants in the bog. Not sure what they were, but very tiny variety. I love frogs, so any that show up are more than welcome. And, since my bedroom is on the opposite side of the house, they don't wake me early. :) My visiting daughter this past summer was not so happy with her Mama's frogs. LOL

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ooops I know what you mean I have heard comments from a few of my neighbors about the increase of frog noise .My house is well insulated so can't hear them .I just agree with them and not going to admit a thing .

Reaction score
Oh heck, I don't know how anyone could complain about the sound of frogs or of crickets, or owls or whip-poor-wils or any such night sounds. I almost cannot sleep well without hearing them. Even when they are loud, I enjoy them. I've often thought about recording them on tape or disc and then letting that play in my bedroom in the winter time so that I can pretend that it is summer again! :)

One thing for me, for my bait tank pond, the frogs won't be able to just "move-in" on their own. Since it will be above ground with 30 or 32 inch sides, they won't find their way in. Besides, it is pretty dry right here on top of the hill. There aren't many pond dwelling frogs around the house, just the tree frogs like Sissy was referring to. I would have to put them in there myself and then release them at the end of the season, down by the lake or the marsh so they can figure out their way through winter.

Gordy

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Love the sound of the frogs anytime, night or day! Can't wait for Spring to find out if I will have any at my pond.

Ask a Question