Pond from sleepers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all, I’ve done a few ponds in the past such as preformed ponds and raised ponds made from stone but I want to make one out of railway sleeepers now 2.4m x 1.6m x 0.6m but I’m unsure if I should use softwood sleepers or hardwood sleepers. Anyone done one from softwood before and is it strong enough to hold the weight of the water. Thanks in advance

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1589986767215.gif
@Dazzyj85
No clue but just wanted to say hi :smuggrin:

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Won’t really matter if the wood is hard or soft, the size Of the lumber/timber matters more, as long as it is built correctly it will hold the weight of water back. Here in the u.s., railroad ties/ railway sleepers are made of pine(softwood), but are treated with creosote(oil based treatment), stuff lasts a loooong time with that treatment. I have built raised ponds out of CCA treated pine 6x6’s, and those have never budged much less failed.

In my younger days, I had to work with new creosote treated lumber...hate that stuff, if you got it on your skin on a hot summer day..... Yiiikes, Would feel like your skin is literally on fire, don’t even like looking at the stuff gives me a twitchy eye...but I digress.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Won’t really matter if the wood is hard or soft, the size Of the lumber/timber matters more, as long as it is built correctly it will hold the weight of water back. Here in the u.s., railroad ties/ railway sleepers are made of pine(softwood), but are treated with creosote(oil based treatment), stuff lasts a loooong time with that treatment. I have built raised ponds out of CCA treated pine 6x6’s, and those have never budged much less failed.

In my younger days, I had to work with new creosote treated lumber...hate that stuff, if you got it on your skin on a hot summer day..... Yiiikes, Would feel like your skin is literally on fire, don’t even like looking at the stuff gives me a twitchy eye...but I digress.
[/QUOTE
The sleepers I’ve got are 8 x 4’s and treated with tanatone 3950. Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate guys

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and a lot of soft woods are called that for a reason .Now most treated wood is done with a salt type mixture in most places .You should ask where you want to buy the wood about ground contact also .Wood here says non contact or ground contact .Your best source of info is the place you buy your wood

Ask a Question