Pond Gone and Heron Attack.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
0216141651.jpg
0215141712.jpg
Good Morning, I pulled up the larger Pond yesterday and cleaned all the pumps and lighting and stacked up all granite, rock, and tubing to get ready for the move. I pulled up a Pond that took me a whole weekend to build in less than 2 hours lol.

A Heron decided to take 4 of my fish including my largest Goldfish and Largest Koi :/ I opened my window Sunday morning to see him gulp one down and fly off. The small pond has all fish in it and is now completely covered.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh no sorry to hear jason and just when you should be the happiest with the move and your new bride .Sorry

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. That sounds similar to what happened when we moved here. We went from a city yard completely fenced and not too many predators to a 4 acres surrounded by woods and apparently lots of hungry critters. I had my koi in a holding (kiddie)pool in my new backyard until I could get their new little home set up on the screened in area. On the very first night, a raccoon got into the holding pool and ate up all my koi except the pure black one which I'm assuming he couldn't see.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Now you must put on your battle armor and fight the fight on protecting your new pond. You will win Jason..............I think the net is your best weapon. I love mine now :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks Ya'll, I hope everything goes smooth from here on out just glad to finally know what has been taking them lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Sorry about your fish Jason. Good luck on the move and cant wait to see the new pond. :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bummer Jason, once you have a heron come by they will keep coming until the fish are gone.

It is always easier and quicker to tear apart then put together.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Jason I'm not suprised my young friend your pond was very shallow and if it wasnt netted then it was only a question of time before they were attacked .
However you do have our utmost sympathy at the loss of your fish :(
You now have a chance to dig a deeper larger pond where your fish can hide from preditors if attacked by them .
I personally would spend some time planning your new pond and not rebuild it as it is now .
Good luck with your move :)

Dave

Ask a Question