Pond gone cloudy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
So abit of background, I built this pond last year about this time it is about 2800-3000 liters. It has been stocked with 6 goldfish and 6 shubunkins. Everything has been going well water checks and filter cleaning every other week. Ammonia and nitrite at 0 and nitrate at 5 ph and 7.5, with the water changes I have been using tetra aquasafe to neutralise the chlorine. So when I got home today the water has gone milky/cloudy, just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• DSC_0753.JPG
    DSC_0753.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 413
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
United Kingdom
I feed tetra variety sticks once a day six days a week, a small handful about 15 sticks. Only some plants

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Just to verify that what I am seeing in the photo is accurate, is this completely milky or does it also have a green tint to it? Apparently you have developed a bacterial bloom with or without an accompanying algae bloom. This is caused by an excess of certain organics in a pond. Bacterial blooms can be dangerous in that the bacteria will consume a large amount of the Oxygen in the water thus depriving the fish.
I would recommend providing supplemental aeration to your pond. This will sustain the Oxygen content until the bacterial bloom dissipates over time. There are no treatments for a bacterial bloom and I do not recommend them for algae issues either.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi thanks for your replies ive taken a pint and left it to rest to see if its sediment coming from somewhere ill attach pic. I currently have a solar aerator running during the day ill swap it to night mode when it gets dark. Is there any time frame for this or is it different for every pond?? Should i do a large water change to try and lower nutrient levels?

Also added a pic from bedroom window. Normally a pretty sight.

Attachments

• DSC_0754.JPG
    DSC_0754.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 363
  • DSC_0755.JPG
    DSC_0755.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 370

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I see that you reside in Great Britain. The water changes may be what is causing your problem as your source water may have an elevated level of Nitrate. If this is so, water changes are only feeding and extending the issue by adding more nutrients to the pond each time they are done. Add a couple of additional plants. If you can find some submerged oxygenating plants such as Anacharis (Elodea), Hornwort, Vallisnaria etc. they would be of immense help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
United Kingdom
I see never thought to check the water from the tap. I finish at lunch time tomorrow so will drop to lfs and see what they have

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all little update today. So pond is stilk very cloudy. I have bought a five bunches of elodia and some water lettuce. I have also added a sieve and some fine filter floss to the outlet of my filter to clear up any particles getting through. So now the waiting game. All fish are eating well and aerator is still pumping the air in so hopefully we can wait it out.

Attachments

• DSC_0756.JPG
    DSC_0756.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 297
Reaction score
Hi all,
So abit of background, I built this pond last year about this time it is about 2800-3000 liters. It has been stocked with 6 goldfish and 6 shubunkins. Everything has been going well water checks and filter cleaning every other week. Ammonia and nitrite at 0 and nitrate at 5 ph and 7.5, with the water changes I have been using tetra aquasafe to neutralise the chlorine. So when I got home today the water has gone milky/cloudy, just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why.

Thanks in advance
You don't mention how mature your fish are, I have 40+ KOI 10-20in, when they start spawning, it turns my pond cloudy/milky with a distinct oder. Just a thought

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
United Kingdom
Fish are about 2.5-3 inches long ive ownes them a year

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Pond treatments such as algaecides and 'sludge busters' do nothing to address the excess nutrient issue which is the root of all algae blooms. Just another 'quick fix' band-aid.

I see no harm adding in beneficial bacteria to boost the pond and filter. Helps with the decaying debris on bottom and has zero impact on fish so why not? Also lowers ammonia.

Edit : Pure Pond has nothing to do with algae as far as i'm aware, but having healthy water helps.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I see no harm adding in beneficial bacteria to boost the pond and filter. Helps with the decaying debris on bottom and has zero impact on fish so why not? Also lowers ammonia.

Edit : Pure Pond has nothing to do with algae as far as i'm aware, maybe you got mixed up?

Pure Pond is a typical benficial(?) bacteria treatment.
First, let's address the bacteria that are in such products. They contain only heterotrophic bacteria which may have the capability of Ammonia and Nitrite oxidation but when compared to the autotrophic bacteria are severely lacking in efficiency (Over 1,000+ times less efficient). Only liquid products contain autotrophic bacteria. If you have an Ammonia or Nitrite problem in your pond then you have serious issues with your biofiltration. a product such as Pure Pond is not going to provide the help that is needed.
These products, as advertised, do break down accumulated organic material. A result of this organic breakdown is that nutrients are re-introduced into the water column adding to the already existing level of nutrients. This is akin to sweeping dirt under a rug. You may not be able to see it but it is still there....and will accumulate to the point of causing issues with water quality.
This product also does not have a MSDS available.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Damn
Pure Pond is a typical benficial(?) bacteria treatment.
First, let's address the bacteria that are in such products. They contain only heterotrophic bacteria which may have the capability of Ammonia and Nitrite oxidation but when compared to the autotrophic bacteria are severely lacking in efficiency (Over 1,000+ times less efficient). Only liquid products contain autotrophic bacteria. If you have an Ammonia or Nitrite problem in your pond then you have serious issues with your biofiltration. a product such as Pure Pond is not going to provide the help that is needed.
These products, as advertised, do break down accumulated organic material. A result of this organic breakdown is that nutrients are re-introduced into the water column adding to the already existing level of nutrients. This is akin to sweeping dirt under a rug. You may not be able to see it but it is still there....and will accumulate to the point of causing issues with water quality.
This product also does not have a MSDS available.

The book was laid down on me, just as i thought i was getting a grasp on things lol. Thanks for the info.

Ask a Question