Pond has lost 10 inches of water

Reaction score
Country
United States
My 5000 gallon above ground pond has lost 10 inches of water in less than 1 week. No visible leaks, waterfall, 2 filters and aerators are all intact. We took all 30 koi fish out and put them in 3 - 25gallon storage tubs until we can get something larger to put them in. We have plans to just keep them in the garage this winter. What do you think the cause of the water lost is and what can I put my fish in for the winter?

Attachments

• 711D9335-A150-4E60-8A34-A7C4C2676273.jpeg
    711D9335-A150-4E60-8A34-A7C4C2676273.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 137
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The pond is the best place for them. I suggest you try to find the leak. Try topping it off, turn the pump off, see if you are still loosing water. If you are, let it drop as low as it will go, then look closely along the waterline to find the hole. Of you don't loose water, check your plumbing and pump, anything that carries water out of the pond. Meanwhile, keep airstones going for the koi, and filters if they will be in the totes for extended period of time. If you are unable to find or fix the leak in time, you will need a very large volume of water in your garage. Think multiple stock tanks, depending on the side of the fish.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Agree with @JamieB.

I’m trying to imagine a 5000 gallon above ground pond.... Is it free-standing, like an Intex pool, or raised with wood sides or concrete? What kind of liner is it?

And I’m sorry, but the picture you have posted doesn’t tell me anything about what’s going on. Could you post some other pics that might be more helpful, to give us context?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree - the fish need to be in the pond. That many fish is such a small volume of water is going to be devastating.

And ten inches of water has to go SOMEWHERE. Has the water leveled out? Or are you still losing water daily? If you turn off the waterfall and let it sit, you can eliminate one or the other - either the plumbing is leaking or the pond itself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Agree, a lot of leaks can be traced to either plumbing or waterfall related.

Refill the pond. Turn off all plumbing that is outside of the pond, including the waterfall. Obviously, if no water is missing, than it's either the waterfall or the plumbing. If it's still leaking, then let it drain down until it stops. Your leak will be at that level.

This is why all my plumbing is within my pond and bog. No way will any water leak outside my pond or bog.

And I agree about keeping the fish in the pond for the winter.
You're going to need some big stock tanks, filtration and aeration if you decide to house them outside the pond.

Good luck and keep us posted...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm fixing my pond has a leak I am keeping my koi's in this pool its 8 ft round by 30 inch tall, its great last time I had to fix my pond 4 years ago I keep them in tote and it was a nightmare. for my filter I got a home depot bucket installed a PVC pipe thru the bucket on the bottom and connected my underwater pump to it. placed my bio balls and media on top and let it cascade over the top of the bucket. it works great been 3 weeks now that my koi's have been in there with no problem

Attachments

• 20201115_171058.png
    20201115_171058.png
    83.7 KB · Views: 61
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes we made the mistake in planting a screw palm next to it at the time it was a small palm but now its big and the roots punch a hole thru it

Ask a Question