Pond health

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi Fish and garden lovers, I need some help with recovering some fish.
My partner and I are house sitting for her parents and she's let the garden house go in the pond for about 4 hours. I've read a bit and it's likely they have chlorine poisoning, so far I've lost 4 small gold fish and 2 more are going down hill! There are about 8 koi ranging in size and maybe a couple of other breeds. I'm vigorously oxygenating the pond. Is that enough? I have a filter going too the pond volume is roughly 1000 Litres

Reaction score
Country
United States
The pond is about 265 gallons so if the hose was average size and turned all of the way up you might have changed four X new water. Find a temporary established pond for the survivors if possible. If not, yes, use maximum and supplemental aeration. Also, add as fast as possible, treatment for chlorine and chloramines. Some products will tell you in situations like this, use twice (or more) of the listed dosage on the bottle. I think Prime says you can really amp it up in an emergency. For sure, the chlorine messed up the beneficial bacteria growing in the pond and filter system so you need to check ammonia levels several times per day if possible. Welcome to the forum, you came to the right place. We are here to help.
Stephen

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thanks Stephen, great advice. I've found in the last 2 hours since adding the 'aging solution' most fish have sparked back to life. One more didn't quite make it. I'll be checking the ammonia levels, I take it the beneficial bacteria regulates ammonia? Is there a way to build back the good bacteria?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Stephen, great advice. I've found in the last 2 hours since adding the 'aging solution' most fish have sparked back to life. One more didn't quite make it. I'll be checking the ammonia levels, I take it the beneficial bacteria regulates ammonia? Is there a way to build back the good bacteria?
Yes. But by aging solution do you mean chlorine/chloramine remover or some sort of live bacteria starter? The chlorine will kill off any benefits of the bacteria starter...depending on how long and volume of aeration that has been applied. Chlorine has to be removed first and quicky. Three things remove chlorine besides a dechlorinator: sunlight, aeration and heat. But this takes time. So, first dechlorinate/chloramine the water with a pond chlorine remover then add the bacteria starter. Here is a link to help understand the cycle and ammonia: https://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=561 Also, this link is good with a great chart :

https://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?articleid=654
Good questions, please feel free to ask away. We want to help.
Stephen

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do as said above. As quick as you can, air, dechlor, etc.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Ed81 - it's always sad when a pond disaster brings someone to the forum, but hopefully things will settle down quickly in the pond.

And @MitchM makes a good point - are you sure about the size of the pond? That pond would be too small for even one koi - are you using the terms "koi" and "goldfish" interchangeably maybe?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
And get a hose timer so it shuts it's self off.Even the temperature of the new water can be a shock to fish

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-8-28_9-6-42.gif
@Ed81

Ask a Question