Pond Heater YES or NO

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Who uses pond heaters, what's your opinion. I recently visited a bloke selling koi who keeps his water temperature at 24C through untill winter then lowers it to 20c in the winter I have never seen such well kept and very large fish in a home garden pond he feeds them a lot more than I woud feed mine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We bought a floating heater a couple of years ago. It worked 2 weeks than quit. We made one last year. Took a tote, put a treble light thru the bottom, attached those noodles that kids use in pools to the bottom, turn it upside down and it floats on the water. Turn it on when the pond starts to freeze. It keeps a hole open. Worked great.

As far as heating the water, I don't know of anyone that heats the whole pond in the winter. I couldn't imagine the electric bill to do that.

Reaction score
24 C? My pond has not been that cool since May. LOL According to how big his pond, or your is, 20 C in the winter would take a lot of electricity and probably more than 1 heater. He is creating a year round growing season for his Koi by doing this. So no doubt they have grown quite well.
I have heaters that turn on when the sensor shows it is 0 Celcius. As long as you keep a hole or 2 open for gas exchange and plenty of water under the ice for your fish, they will be fine.

Reaction score
I have never used a heater in any of my ponds. I live in Middletown NY about 65 miles west of NYC. We have bad winters w/ decent amounts of snow. I use an aerator w/ a venturi I made up w/ some PVC and JB weld. The "bubbler" keeps an opening in the pond except for when it stays below zero for a few days. I just dont trust electricity and heat under water in my pond (That's just me) I should keep a heater as a backup though with the crazy weather all over the world. EARTHQUAKES,LAND SLIDES, FLOODING, TORNADOES AND HURRICANES What's next? From this forum and other Koi hobbyists I've only heard that they draw alot of elect. $$$, There is no doubt that they do do work . My main problem with my Aerator is that I should build a shelter over it. It seems to me me it when we get a heavy snow the snow helps close the Bubbling hole it the ice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
blly8325 said:
I have never used a heater in any of my ponds. I live in Middletown NY about 65 miles west of NYC. We have bad winters w/ decent amounts of snow. I use an aerator w/ a venturi I made up w/ some PVC and JB weld. The "bubbler" keeps an opening in the pond except for when it stays below zero for a few days. I just dont trust electricity and heat under water in my pond (That's just me) I should keep a heater as a backup though with the crazy weather all over the world. EARTHQUAKES,LAND SLIDES, FLOODING, TORNADOES AND HURRICANES What's next? From this forum and other Koi hobbyists I've only heard that they draw alot of elect. $$$, There is no doubt that they do do work . My main problem with my Aerator is that I should build a shelter over it. It seems to me me it when we get a heavy snow the snow helps close the Bubbling hole it the ice.

That's why I like mine, it floats. The tote floats, the light bulb is far away from the water. I only turn it on when the water starts to ice over the whole pond. Which isn't often. But, like you said, this crazy weather, you never know what to expect.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I dont think I will use a heater my fish have been well weathered just a a few new ones I will keep an eye on this winter it is over 4ft deep so should not have to much trouble will probelry use a little 300 watt tank heater if it starts to freeze up bad thanks for your comments

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
do you cover your pond in winter roadrunner ? i covered my other pond last year as winters seem to be getting colder here in the uk ..and now i have a raised pond and its in a different part of the garden (which doesnt get much sun in the winter) im more worried about pond getting to cold ..

Reaction score
Heres what we use when temps drop below 30 cattle trough heater works GREAT!!!:surfing::surfing:

Attachments

• pdh 2.jpg
    pdh 2.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 343
Reaction score
I live in MA and use the trough heater each year. So far I have not lost a fish over the winter, knock on wood.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
stroppy said:
do you cover your pond in winter roadrunner ? i covered my other pond last year as winters seem to be getting colder here in the uk ..and now i have a raised pond and its in a different part of the garden (which doesnt get much sun in the winter) im more worried about pond getting to cold ..

Hi No I have never covered my pond yet I had a sunken pond for roughly 9yrs and now raised it this year so this will be my first year with the new raised one I will keep a temp check the 2 big koi I got from the bloke I was talking about who has his pond heated 12 months a year is a little concern thow !

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
RSFish1 said:
24 C? My pond has not been that cool since May. LOL According to how big his pond, or your is, 20 C in the winter would take a lot of electricity and probably more than 1 heater. He is creating a year round growing season for his Koi by doing this. So no doubt they have grown quite well.
I have heaters that turn on when the sensor shows it is 0 Celcius. As long as you keep a hole or 2 open for gas exchange and plenty of water under the ice for your fish, they will be fine.

ditto.we have terrible winter.Ice on top of the pond will actually hold heat in.It's natures ways of insulation Along with a donut heater as mentioned,moving water can't freeze,and oh one more thing I may add never ever crack the ice as fish are very sensitive to that kind of behavoir.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
donut heaters allows a opening in the water,as mentioned above.

Attachments

• pondheater.jpg
    pondheater.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 301
  • pondinwinter.jpg
    pondinwinter.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 303
Reaction score
I built this last year, works great. IIRC I used 3 40 watt bulbs and it kept the entire area open. I live in northwest MN, so we get COLD winters, week stretches of negative temps are common with lows at night near -30.

It's only a frame with wrapped with plastic. I'm going to add some foam insulation for this year, as I had an issue with stray cats scratching holes in the plastic.

The large open area also allows me to locate sick koi, I pulled 5 - 6 koi out of the pond and moved them in the house to get them back to health. Without the large opening, I have no doubt I would have probably lost most of the koi due to disease.

PondDeicer.jpg

PondDeicerTop.jpg

Ask a Question