Pond heater

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I have a small, raised container pond that is about 60 gallons (or more) with a few baby fantails. I live in south Louisiana and we have pretty mild winters for the most part. It rarely gets below 32 degrees and isn't really cold long enough to freeze large amounts of water. But the weather is very inconsistent and can dip to 40 one night and get to 70 the next. I would love to invest in a heater to keep the water a consistent temperature and my fish happy. I already have a water fountain and an underwater power filter so it is well aerated. I know the water won't freeze this winter but I want to make sure my fish won't get too stressed with the varied temperatures. Any advice? I know aquarium heaters aren't advised to use outside but could they work since I don't have a harsh winter? I plan on insulating it as best as possible too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
You should insulate the sides and look into some way to cover the pond to prevent evaporation. You could also do a bucket heater encased in a minnow trap.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Remember that air temps and water temps are two different things. Swings in air temperatures don’t correspond with water temperatures rising and falling. Water both warms and cools slowly, even in a smaller volume of water. Experiment with a pond thermometer and you’ll see what I mean.

I think providing some exterior insulation will be enough to keep your fish happy in your moderate zone. Fan tails are just goldfish at heart - very hearty little creatures.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and get a water thermometer so you can check temperature of water .That will help you out a lot in deciding what to do from day to day .

Ask a Question