Pond Help Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Need help urgently. My granddad recently passed and I have now taken over pond maintenance. However I don’t know where to begin. It’s been neglected for the last month or so due to his illness.

It has a Oase Biopress 6000 filter. It’s now covered with blanket weed and the water is really murky. I’ve tried a quick clean but that hasn’t done much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Tony

Attachments

• 92DC5F8F-5F0D-433E-B953-81303208ADB0.jpeg
    92DC5F8F-5F0D-433E-B953-81303208ADB0.jpeg
    377.6 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1591109695485.gif
@tonybailey87
So sorry for the loss of your grandfather. I think you are prolly gonna have to keep doing a lot of this cleaning by hand, maybe use a plastic garden rake or long pole w/a brush on the end to pull out a lot of the weed. Use the filter and keep cleaning it when full of muck. Looks like a nice fairly good sized pond so this may take awhile. Perhaps others here may come up w/a better idea. I know some here use Hydrogen Peroxide to get rid of the String algae but I don't know the amounts to use and you would have to get it out right away when it dies so as not to pollute your pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome. Sorry to hear about your grandfather — and I’m sure you are very motivated to make the most of his pond.

Can you give us some additional information about the pond? About how many gallons (liter) is it and what are the dimensions? What kind and how many fish are there, and how big are they?

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Sorry for your loss. Don’t sweat the murky water and just try and keep the filters clean enough (w/o rinsing with chlorinated water) to keep the system flowing. There is a lot to learn and if anything, murky water will buy you time to figure things out.

Ask a Question