Pond history

Reaction score
can anyone give me some information about pond history?

Like where it has begun and how the tehnique evolved during the centuries. Maybe how the styles have changed in the certain periods of time.

Thank you,
Radu

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would think you would start with the Japenese koi ponds because they have been around the longest and it was considered an honor to have a koi pond and you where considered to be richer there if you had one

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would just type in history of japanese koi pond history as it was a status symbol to have a koi pond there

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I would think that ponds in one way or another have been around as long as civlization itself...Roman gardens, Castle motes, man made rice patties. its my understanding that this is where koi originated...japanese rice farmers kept carp in their rice patties to control insects,misquitoes mostly..these fish inbred and as generations past the mutations got bigger. as the colors developed the royalty took notice and build ponds in their palaces to admire them...some how it was believed koi had mystical powers and brought prosperity to the kingdoms...this is how i remember the basic koi history...but i may be off a bit.
OH....NICE POSTING VERTIGO...........how off was i ?...man am i a slow typer!!

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
OH....NICE POSTING VERTIGO...........how off was i ?

No idea. I just did the hard part of typing words in google, Ill let the OP and anyone else interested do the easy part of reading the results :fish:

Reaction score
hahah thanks vertigo..any help is wellcomed just that i am not really that ignorant :fish:)

i though you may have some better sources then internet as you are pond lovers...like maybe you are so passionate that you've learnt about pond history and you may have some veridic information

anyway i will search more and if i find something very intersiting i will post here too

greets,
Radu

Ask a Question