Pond hose

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is there anyway to get this hose end over this barb?

Attachments

• IMG_20200328_113856.jpg
    IMG_20200328_113856.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 138

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For tough ones I have used soap and heat. Real hot water works or a carefully used heat gun.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I tried that. But thanks. I screwed that barb off and wanna get a smaller barb but it'd be to small to screw in

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I feel for you because I've been there. It's real frustrating. I tried heat too, but that doesn't help. Try lubricating. Maybe vaseline? How about sanding down the barb with rough sandpaper?
I don't use that kind of hose anymore. It doesn't last long. Constantly breaking. I use flexible PVC now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't use that kind of hose anymore. It doesn't last long. Constantly breaking. I use flexible PVC now.
agreed. they might call it kink free I call it will not take any wear.

Reaction score
Your dad had a barbed fitting that fit the hose perfectly? Amazing, and congratulations!
Pond tubing drives me nuts. Every spring is a struggle. Yesterday as a matter of fact. I plugged in the pump, nothing at the far end of the kink-free tubing. Checked for voltage. Checked for plugs. Turned out the kink-free was broken underwater.
I have several barbed fittings that are either sanded down or built up with electrical tape. I hate doing things that way.
Might have to try that flexible PVC, because I keep burning thru the kink-free. I'm guessing kink-free is good for about 2 or 3 seasons. After that it gets brittle.
Threaded fittings on devices like UV filters are also a mystery to me. The threaded fittings on top of our OASE Biopress sure aren't pipe thread. I imagine they're some kind of metric??
One of these days I'm gonna rebuild as much as I can with PVC or ABS pipe and NPT. Picking up supplies is kinda on hold right now because of the virus.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had that kind of hose and it does not last it breaks at the coil really fast and unwinds .I have used sump pump hose for year now and it works great and much cheaper .My hoses are from 2008 and no problems yet ,well except 1 time I accidentally cut it with a knife and knew I was going to nick it but still did it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
What Sissy said...some people have been using sump pump hose with great results.
I was researching sump pimp hose, but decided to go with flex PVC. The walls of the flex PVC are very thick. I believe it will be the last hose I buy. I will say, it's nowhere near as flexible as sump pump hose. They do make two varieties of flex PVC. One is more flexible.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have been using the sump pump hose as well. Can't beat the price at about $15 for 25'! I do not use it outside of the pond but have never had it burst or go rigid.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Just as a comparison, I bought 25 feet of 1-1/2" flex pvc and it cost $50. Much more expensive than sump pump hose, but I was paranoid about leaks and felt it was worth it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
Canada
Wow I was just going to post about flexible pond tubing. It's so expensive and gets so brittle after a year or so. It never fits easily on any fitting without heating and stretching the crap out of it. Just this weekend I was in my pond moving some things around and with barely a move on a 2yr old hose, it sprung a leak. HATE IT!

I'm so glad to see you guys are having luck with cheaper sump pump tubing. I'm going to give that a try.

Ask a Question