Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Few pictures of the pond now that the pumps and lines are cleaned and the water plants were moved over to the brumate pond because it is heated. I also took a few pics of my Koi although they are a little hard to see because the water is a lot murkier than normal because of all the moving around stired up junk from the bottom and off of the plants. I noticed they have grown a lot over the past 5 months though. My favorite one is the solid white Koi. He is about 11" long now and was about 8" 3-4 months ago.
p1.JPG
p2.JPG
p3.JPG
p4.JPG
p6.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Have you prepped the pond for winter yet Marshall i'e removed any detritus dead leaves etc fro the ponds bottom cleaned the filter etc , the more you can do readying it for winter the greater the chance of them coming through the other side my friend .
I have three large vortex style filters that I ready cleaning them the fourth a barrel filter full of K1 I leave running 365 days a year .
The other three are cleaned well two get done every 3 months or so as part of an ongoing maintenance program .
The first filter has no media of any sort and it cleaned weekly in the summer bi weekly during the winter .
I also do a partial water change even during the winter months .
This is done by trickling the water slowly through our dechlorination filters allowing the colder water to be warmed by the ambient temperature of the water in the pond.
Being under policarbonate sheeting my water never freezes and even at -15c we can maintain a temperature of 7c
On warer days this goes up to around about 9c.
This October has been very warm indeed for the time of year and under the roofing sheets we still have a temperature of 15.2c with a night time air temperature 9c so as you can see this method does wor and work very well .

Dave

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Have you prepped the pond for winter yet Marshall i'e removed any detritus dead leaves etc fro the ponds bottom cleaned the filter etc , the more you can do readying it for winter the greater the chance of them coming through the other side my friend .
I have three large vortex style filters that I ready cleaning them the fourth a barrel filter full of K1 I leave running 365 days a year .
The other three are cleaned well two get done every 3 months or so as part of an ongoing maintenance program .
The first filter has no media of any sort and it cleaned weekly in the summer bi weekly during the winter .
I also do a partial water change even during the winter months .
This is done by trickling the water slowly through our dechlorination filters allowing the colder water to be warmed by the ambient temperature of the water in the pond.
Being under policarbonate sheeting my water never freezes and even at -15c we can maintain a temperature of 7c
On warer days this goes up to around about 9c.
This October has been very warm indeed for the time of year and under the roofing sheets we still have a temperature of 15.2c with a night time air temperature 9c so as you can see this method does wor and work very well .

Dave
Yes I have already done a water change and skimed the bottom od decaying matterial. I have a heating system also and never do get temps below about 25F usually and it never stays that low for more than half a day except very rare cases.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Its those rare cases that you need be ready for Marshall we have tried to think of everything possible to make sure our charges come through the other end of winter in one piece .
In six winters out doors weve not lost one koi [touch wood there].
we try to cover every eventuality possible includng a generator should we have a power outage .

Dave

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Its those rare cases that you need be ready for Marshall we have tried to think of everything possible to make sure our charges come through the other end of winter in one piece .
In six winters out doors weve not lost one koi [touch wood there].
we try to cover every eventuality possible includng a generator should we have a power outage .

Dave
I agree. A generator is a must have. I have a full backup gen for the house as well as 3 portable generators and recently got a good generator donated for the rescue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom

Ask a Question