Pond in CT. Need advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hello, I'm not exactly a new member. Made some posts a year ago, but was very busy with "new" just purchased old house and had no time for my pond. I love ponds, I see some magic in it, in fish and other habitants. My pond is kidney bean shaped . It has stream going in and out. Stream is alive from late autumn to about June or so. Depends on weather conditions( temperature, rainfall etc..) When full with stream running ,the pond is 70ft by 50ft and 6 feet deep at the center. Water drops for the rest of the summer gradually. Stays about 45 by 30, 3-4 feet deep in a middle with foot or so of muck underneath it. It has a lot of tadpoles, frogs, toads around and one snapping turtle.
I can't have koi since my downstream carries water for the lake nearby. Before I learned it I had 5 koi 5-6 inches but none survived more than a week .They were covered in spots and looked not healthy when died. I think it might be parasites and infections. It was April of 2014. I was thinking about adding some filters and oxygenation but never got to it.
This year I caught eight bluegills sunfish ( three to five inches long) from lake nearby and put it in my pond with little hope. It's been three weeks already and all of them are alive and active. Active to the point it's hard to find them. When I see them nearby and go there they swim away fast and hiding. I didn't feed the fish assuming pond has some natural food .If I threw some wax worms in a morning from far away they eat it well, not so much at midday.
Water seems clear with some algae growing in a middle. They seem to swim around that area a lot when I'm not nearby.
My concern is that stream is not delivering much water now and water level will start to drop soon. How can I help them to survive?I was thinking about adding oxygenation pump. What kind of pump I should get for pond like this?
P.S.: Sorry for the long post, was trying to cover all the details.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm not exactly a new member. Made some posts a year ago, but was very busy with "new" just purchased old house and had no time for my pond. I love ponds, I see some magic in it, in fish and other habitants. My pond is kidney bean shaped . It has stream going in and out. Stream is alive from late autumn to about June or so. Depends on weather conditions( temperature, rainfall etc..) When full with stream running ,the pond is 70ft by 50ft and 6 feet deep at the center. Water drops for the rest of the summer gradually. Stays about 45 by 30, 3-4 feet deep in a middle with foot or so of muck underneath it. It has a lot of tadpoles, frogs, toads around and one snapping turtle.
I can't have koi since my downstream carries water for the lake nearby. Before I learned it I had 5 koi 5-6 inches but none survived more than a week .They were covered in spots and looked not healthy when died. I think it might be parasites and infections. It was April of 2014. I was thinking about adding some filters and oxygenation but never got to it.
This year I caught eight bluegills sunfish ( three to five inches long) from lake nearby and put it in my pond with little hope. It's been three weeks already and all of them are alive and active. Active to the point it's hard to find them. When I see them nearby and go there they swim away fast and hiding. I didn't feed the fish assuming pond has some natural food .If I threw some wax worms in a morning from far away they eat it well, not so much at midday.
Water seems clear with some algae growing in a middle. They seem to swim around that area a lot when I'm not nearby.
My concern is that stream is not delivering much water now and water level will start to drop soon. How can I help them to survive?I was thinking about adding oxygenation pump. What kind of pump I should get for pond like this?
P.S.: Sorry for the long post, was trying to cover all the details.
No problems the more detail from you the better , I knew there was a reason I sould keep this months Fish Channel edition :)
Anyway you saying about something other than koi struck a cord with me so I copied everything off for you so that you may red it at your leasure

http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-new...utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=06-15-2015 (1)&

I really hope this gives you an idea or ideas for fish to go into your pond other than those of koi .

Dave

Ask a Question