Pond in Flood Zone?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. In short, my question is could I build a pond that gets completely flooded with high-current once a year?

I have a dry-creek in my back yard that floods during heavy rain once a year. Every time it rains the creek gets water for a day... but the main creek is divided from my house by a big 5-foot-tall pyramid-wall of rock dirt and trees, and the secondary creek between that wall and my uphill backyard hardly ever gets water.

I would love for that area, at the bottom of my yard, to be a 4-foot deep pond, and I could easily trap water in it any November just by building strong enough walls to not get washed away in the flood on both sides of the long channel, between the bottom of my yard and the 5-foot berm, that the main-creek is 7ft below on the other side of.

Basically imagine I have a natural 5-foot deep olympic-sized swimming pool, but with the 2 small sides missing... and once a year there is a roaring-rapid flying through this channel, even though the main bigger channel is just on the other side of the back long-wall.

...can I possibly make that into a living pond? ...assuming I could build the 2 missing walls to withstand the flood (but the flood would still roar over the pond once a year).

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would want to keep my fish a foot or two above high water .
Sounds great !

Reaction score
Country
United States
? I can't build the pond above high water. High water is about 7-8ft once a year, and the pond walls can only be 4-5ft tall. If I do it, the fish would be gone every year (unless they were smart enough to stay very deep). I guess my questions is would the plants and microbes all be gone once a year as well?

Ask a Question