Pond in planter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am designing a courtyard garden with seven large woodennplanters that have a porous lining. I would like to convert one into a pond using a pond liner and would welcome advice.. How can I best attach the liner to the inside of the planter so that the wooden rim is maintained and visible . The planters are 100cm length x 50cm width x 39cm high?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The easy answer is "you can't". The only way I would put the effort into lining any kind of planter with EPDM would be to make sure it was secured up and over the top edge.

Now perhaps you can remove the wooden rim, wrap the liner over the top edge and then replace the wooden rim. You could nail or glue the liner right the edge of the planter under the rim. You'd want to make sure you have plenty of slack in the liner because water is heavy - you don't want the liner so tight that the water creates downward pull and tears the liner free from however you attach it to the rim.

But without removing that rim and getting the liner secured under it I'd say you're wasting your time. You'll set yourself up for frustrating leaks. Working with EPDM can be challenging even in a big pond - in a small container it's next to impossible. It's stiff and bulky and hard to fold into small spaces.

Post some photos of your planters - maybe someone will have some other ideas once we see what you're actually working with. I'm curious to see your project!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1643047659389.gif
@suzycav

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I did something similar, and found epdm to be unsightly due to all of the wrinkles in caused in such a small space, so went for thicker pvc. As far as attaching it goes, I took it over the rim where I screwed it in to the frame.

Ask a Question