water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
simmonspond said:
Wow. This is a tremendously awesome project. It humbles my small 10x12 plan :). Interested to see how it all pans out. And please talk more about the bog.

What would you like to hear, ie see in type........lmao

The bog is going to be the length of the pond, around 6 foot wide, 20 inches deep.
the liner is continuous with the pond. We build a wood retaining wall between the pond and bog, around 19 inches tall. One part of that wall is 3 inches lower, that is where the water fall will be. It will not be a long drop to the surface of the pond, being that this is on the low end of our slope.

We are running two lines of 2 inch pvc with slots cut into it around 1/4 inch in width, (there is a picture in the beginning of this thread i think) decided on slots so less chance of it getting plugged.

This pvc will be put in with the slots facing down towards the liner, the pea gravel will be piled on top and planted.

The bottom filter, (we are building out of 2 inch pvc pipe) will drawn the bottom water to pump it through the bog. We are going to have two leaf filters before it enters the bog.
We are also going to have a skimmer (sorry drdave, I know you don't like them) it to will draw water that will enter the bog, the skimmer has its own leaf basket.

If need be we will do a prefilter, but without a fish load I think this set up will work ok without it.

It is a very large bog filter, but I love plants and it will look great (well once we get plants in it)

The bog is the part with the carpet pad.
Any questions ask away.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Rocks on the edges and in the stream are good. Bottom of the pond, no. A septic condition waiting to happen.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Rocks on the edges and in the stream are good. Bottom of the pond, no. A septic condition waiting to happen.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DrDave said:

Laughing, no rocks bottom of pond except in the shallow, walk out area, can't afford that many! ie pebble beach, maybe will just be pea gravel.

We are doing a double liner, at the walk out area, the deer are visiting. So far they have not damaged the single layer, but why take a chance.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DrDave said:

Laughing, no rocks bottom of pond except in the shallow, walk out area, can't afford that many! ie pebble beach, maybe will just be pea gravel.

We are doing a double liner, at the walk out area, the deer are visiting. So far they have not damaged the single layer, but why take a chance.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks I will check it out.

On pond hiatus right now, just brought a truck load of rocks down from pa, these are medium flat ones, maybe to cover some of the stream walls with.

Keeping me in shape, hubby says i can build a pond anytime.

We are going to florida to check in on his elderly parents we go every 6 weeks or so, so leaving heat for heat. But back in the pond mode when we get back.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks I will check it out.

On pond hiatus right now, just brought a truck load of rocks down from pa, these are medium flat ones, maybe to cover some of the stream walls with.

Keeping me in shape, hubby says i can build a pond anytime.

We are going to florida to check in on his elderly parents we go every 6 weeks or so, so leaving heat for heat. But back in the pond mode when we get back.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
finse said:
This thread it epic! Love the pictures, I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Me too lol!

It is a big project, and of course bigger than all my drawings plans etc prepared me for. Even with building 3 other ponds.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
finse said:
This thread it epic! Love the pictures, I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Me too lol!

It is a big project, and of course bigger than all my drawings plans etc prepared me for. Even with building 3 other ponds.

Ask a Question