j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok I went to Dave's Garden and posted a photo of that yellow tall blooming plant and they said it is

PlantFiles: Yellow Loosestrife, Circle Flower
Lysimachia punctata Family: Primulaceae

5c7017.jpg

So it is in the Primrose family http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1126/
That site is great for finding out plant I.D's!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have used them a few times, they answer pretty fast too.

I like the flower, that is really pretty.

I have some string algae growing in the preform, been grabbing it and tossing it into the big pond, the fish gobble it up, a treat lol

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I didn't like where that plant was growing and it says it is invasive so I pulled it out from among the Phlox. I prolly did not get all the roots and it will come back but I will pull it up again as it grows.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol jw, something blooms here it gets to stay, but my garden is not a "groomed" one at all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
JW, I just bet that IS what my neighbor has, too. She said it spreads and spreads, but the yellow one she said she has tried many times to transplant after spring, always to no avail. So, maybe you will get lucky and they won't come back. Always if you pull before they go to seed, you are 10 steps ahead, too! I'm going to put a few of these in my wildflower garden next spring. Same with her purple flowers that she says are invasive. They both bloom at the same time, yellow taller, purple about 12", but then they are done. They will do well with other wildflowers blooming after that!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If they were in a different wild flower garden they would be ok but they would have taken over the small one where the bathtub pond lives. I don't want to make anymore gardens tho cuz I'm not that much in love w/ weeding. Maybe I'll take the roots and bury them in the empty field across the road from us and see what happens.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Another of the lotus bloomed, this one is pinkish. I was sure hoping it would bloom before we take off and it did.

I have not fertilized them this year, they are doing great. Might need to divide them next year, you are supposed to do every 2-3 years.
Love the pink color!

The photos are from early this am until mid day as it opened.

Attachments

• DSC06158.JPG
    DSC06158.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC06159.JPG
    DSC06159.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 204
  • DSC06160.JPG
    DSC06160.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC06162.JPG
    DSC06162.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC06163.JPG
    DSC06163.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 173

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I walked missy monster out into the side yard and froze, right past the fence where the twins in the back field. The one was just slightly taller than the first fence railing. So darn cute. We watched each other until missy monster spotted a rabbit and took off (on a leash so she did not get far) That made the fawn flash its tail and take off.

The crocosmia are covered with hummingbirds, so much fun to watch them feed and do their air battles over the right to eat! We had around 10 at one time feeding. They fly straight up fighting each other.

My poor honey has to drag me away when all is in bloom here, I hate missing even one flower............. just saw a new bunch, almost like a blue tick seed, need to look it up, might be a "wild flower" i.e. bird dropped.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I check daily, mainly for water level on the pond. I don't care for the colors the cameras show over the net. Here on our tv, the cameras are almost true color. But it does give a nice glance of what is going on.

The hawk is sitting on its fav camera right now, I can see its tail feathers.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My Crocosmia are just now getting ready to bloom maybe in a few days. Can't wait to see all the hummers! I filled my feeders and they are ignoring them now. Wonder if it's cuz they are finding flowers in bloom and that is more nourishing? They did this last year at the same time around July 1st.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine still feed off the feeders and fight over them too. Even with all the flowers around. I have two full so maybe they won't empty them until we get back.

My neighbor is feeding the fish, every other day or so. Told her 4 handfuls, that amount is gone in a minute or so.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well then why do mine stop eating every July I wonder? I'll try cleaning one out, heard to only use vinegar to clean them as they say if they taste the slightest bit of soap residue they won't drink it. Then read they stop drinking it when they are feeding their babies little bugs. Maybe it makes a difference on what kind of hummers we have.

Ask a Question