water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DrDave said:
Great overhead shot! I want to see it again when you finish hiding the liner and have it running.

laughing I want to see that too!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DrDave said:
Great overhead shot! I want to see it again when you finish hiding the liner and have it running.

laughing I want to see that too!

Reaction score
I've missed this thread, looking really good. Mortar is definitely the way to go. I've now started taking parts of my waterfall apart and mortaring to strengthen the whole structure. I used waterfall foam at first but, with all the kid activity near around mine I needed a little strength and stone stability.

One thing to look out for is if and when you do get rain is to be sure the runoff does not go into your stream or pond. I ran into this problem on mine and had lots of mud to scoop. You may want to make some drains near your stream and pond to divert any potential runoff.

Reaction score
I've missed this thread, looking really good. Mortar is definitely the way to go. I've now started taking parts of my waterfall apart and mortaring to strengthen the whole structure. I used waterfall foam at first but, with all the kid activity near around mine I needed a little strength and stone stability.

One thing to look out for is if and when you do get rain is to be sure the runoff does not go into your stream or pond. I ran into this problem on mine and had lots of mud to scoop. You may want to make some drains near your stream and pond to divert any potential runoff.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have had some hard rains, the ground seems to absorb without too much trouble, all the upper edges of the stream and pond are or will be sloped back. The hill is pretty stable, the house was built in the 80's. Still have hours, days months of work to do. But loving it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have had some hard rains, the ground seems to absorb without too much trouble, all the upper edges of the stream and pond are or will be sloped back. The hill is pretty stable, the house was built in the 80's. Still have hours, days months of work to do. But loving it.

Reaction score
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for sharing these fabulous progress images with us! I am absolutely speechless!

Upon beginning to read this thread, I wondered what sort of gal would be pleased with a Kobuta as a gift, and now I know! One who has breath-taking visions of a paradise in her own backyard!

PLEASE continue to keep us updated, and be careful crawling up on that roof for pictures (but, PLEASE do it often!!!!)

:eek:)

Reaction score
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for sharing these fabulous progress images with us! I am absolutely speechless!

Upon beginning to read this thread, I wondered what sort of gal would be pleased with a Kobuta as a gift, and now I know! One who has breath-taking visions of a paradise in her own backyard!

PLEASE continue to keep us updated, and be careful crawling up on that roof for pictures (but, PLEASE do it often!!!!)

:eek:)

Reaction score
Can you provide a little info how you are setting up the filter, pump, piping and such? Curious based upon what I'm planning on for my build.

What kind of head pressure are you dealing with? Look like you have a little more vertical height than mine. Currious on what pumps you are looking at too. For mine I'm looking at possibly going with an ES6000

My falls/stream, I plan on having a gravity fed prefilter that then feeds to the external pump. From the pump I will provide a 3" to the top or start of the stream where I will have a bog/anoxic filter. Between I will have some "T's" with ball valves that spill to lower elevations of the stream/falls to reduce some of the overall head.

I know how much work it is to move all those rocks with a tractor or no tractor, I have a Massey Ferguson with backhoe. Been really thinking about a thumb for the backhoe to make it easier to arrange some of my bigger rocks. Looking really good though, keep up the good work.

Reaction score
Can you provide a little info how you are setting up the filter, pump, piping and such? Curious based upon what I'm planning on for my build.

What kind of head pressure are you dealing with? Look like you have a little more vertical height than mine. Currious on what pumps you are looking at too. For mine I'm looking at possibly going with an ES6000

My falls/stream, I plan on having a gravity fed prefilter that then feeds to the external pump. From the pump I will provide a 3" to the top or start of the stream where I will have a bog/anoxic filter. Between I will have some "T's" with ball valves that spill to lower elevations of the stream/falls to reduce some of the overall head.

I know how much work it is to move all those rocks with a tractor or no tractor, I have a Massey Ferguson with backhoe. Been really thinking about a thumb for the backhoe to make it easier to arrange some of my bigger rocks. Looking really good though, keep up the good work.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Airic said:

Well, need to answer this politically correct..........lmao. I wanted to buy a wave dragon pump, have that in az it works great. But my honey, and I love him to death, said we did not need that. so I bowed to his "superior" intelligence and we bought a good pool pump. He feels that we will have to reduce the flow, even with the hill the water has to climb and the length of pipe we will have too much flow..............The length of pipe is around 50 feet to the top of hill from the pump, the drop is over 12 feet vertically. He wanted to do 3/4 inch pipe, but he bowed to my no way...laughing, so we have 2 inch, I wanted 3 or 4.....men!

But he also said he would graciously admit he was wrong if it does not work. And get what will work, even if we need just a water fall pump. So we will see what happens.

The stream will have pea gravel in the stream bed, with river rock, each lil pond on the stream will have pea gravel and planted ie mini bio filters. The main filtration will be the bog. Between the pump and the bog is only 5 feet, so zero head to get the water to the bog. The pump will be used to pull from the bottom drain, (we are making it out of 2 inch pvc) and the skimmer, we will have a ball valve on the skimmer to direct the flow more to the bottom if it needs to be cleaned better. The skimmer has a leaf basket, we are installing a stand alone leaf basket and the pump has a leaf basket to catch the large stuff. All pipes are very reachable to change after we start plumbing if something does not work well. (well not the trenched ones to the waterfall, so sort of stuck with 2 inch pvc lol)

All rocks, pea gravel etc going in the stream has to be hand carried, I can't get the tractor up there anymore, keeping this lil body in shape!

Hope I answered everything any other ?'s just ask.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Airic said:

Well, need to answer this politically correct..........lmao. I wanted to buy a wave dragon pump, have that in az it works great. But my honey, and I love him to death, said we did not need that. so I bowed to his "superior" intelligence and we bought a good pool pump. He feels that we will have to reduce the flow, even with the hill the water has to climb and the length of pipe we will have too much flow..............The length of pipe is around 50 feet to the top of hill from the pump, the drop is over 12 feet vertically. He wanted to do 3/4 inch pipe, but he bowed to my no way...laughing, so we have 2 inch, I wanted 3 or 4.....men!

But he also said he would graciously admit he was wrong if it does not work. And get what will work, even if we need just a water fall pump. So we will see what happens.

The stream will have pea gravel in the stream bed, with river rock, each lil pond on the stream will have pea gravel and planted ie mini bio filters. The main filtration will be the bog. Between the pump and the bog is only 5 feet, so zero head to get the water to the bog. The pump will be used to pull from the bottom drain, (we are making it out of 2 inch pvc) and the skimmer, we will have a ball valve on the skimmer to direct the flow more to the bottom if it needs to be cleaned better. The skimmer has a leaf basket, we are installing a stand alone leaf basket and the pump has a leaf basket to catch the large stuff. All pipes are very reachable to change after we start plumbing if something does not work well. (well not the trenched ones to the waterfall, so sort of stuck with 2 inch pvc lol)

All rocks, pea gravel etc going in the stream has to be hand carried, I can't get the tractor up there anymore, keeping this lil body in shape!

Hope I answered everything any other ?'s just ask.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
jacki380 said:

:wink:)

Thank you for the support! Love to hear that my conception of a stream and pond is doing well, honey never could quite understand how I could see it in my mind, but I did draw it out for him. We did make the stream meander more with his desires, which I am glad we did.

Just don't tell him I was up on the roof! lol, it is not too steep and I stay far away from the edge.

Pond on pause for about a week, we are traveling to check on his parents. But will continue on return.

And i take a lot of pictures, only way to see the progress and remember the way it was!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
jacki380 said:

:wink:)

Thank you for the support! Love to hear that my conception of a stream and pond is doing well, honey never could quite understand how I could see it in my mind, but I did draw it out for him. We did make the stream meander more with his desires, which I am glad we did.

Just don't tell him I was up on the roof! lol, it is not too steep and I stay far away from the edge.

Pond on pause for about a week, we are traveling to check on his parents. But will continue on return.

And i take a lot of pictures, only way to see the progress and remember the way it was!

Ask a Question