Pond in trouble please help!!!

Reaction score
Hello out there, I'm hoping someone can offer some info. I have a very small man made pond/waterfall in my yard. It was the home of few small fish and frogs. Last fall I had some concrete work done at my house. The contractor used oil for something, I don't know maybe in the concrete sealer or forming. Anyway, my pond was coated with oil. All the fish and frogs have died. I've been skimming it and removed the oil off the top. What I have noticed is now the oil has not settled on the bottom. I didn't know this could happen. If we churn the water up, you can see the oil come up to the top. Is there anyway to clean this so fish can be put back into the water and live safely. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Are you sure this oil is not from your pump? Thats too bad he screwed up your pond I would be calling and pitch a B**ch. As said drain it out clean it real good then when you fill it back up I would run some activated carbon for a week or two before adding anything..

Reaction score
I would drain and clean...test your pump in a container of water to make sure it is not your pump....refill, wait to cycle the water and add more fish....if it is not your pump, I also would have complained to the company...if it was over spray they should have known it would do this and covered the pond before applying.

Reaction score
I had roofers do something similar. They told me "that isn't our problem". Hopefully you can call them and they can give you an idea if they used oil for.

Reaction score
Thanks all. I am sure it came from the concrete workers. They sprayed the forms with oil so they don't stick when they remove them. Yes, they should have known better but this was done last fall. I pitched a bitch so they know in the future. I have changed the pump so really I don't know if the oil is from the old pump or the workers. I was hoping there was an easy solution or a chemical or enzyme that can disolve it. Looks like I'll have some work to do!!!

Ask a Question